Td5 funny noise on start-up

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

My Td5 does this sometimes, and it did when i had the previous engine in it (so i'm ASSuMEing it's not a "fault" on this engine...unles they were both buggered!)

First thing in the morning, when engine is cold, start it up, and it sounds like a "vacuum" sort of "glug glug glug" coming form the air intake grill on the wing (yes... i know that air is sucked in through here before any smart arse remonds me! :rolleyes: )

It only does it for about 2 seconds then all is well.

any ideas? (it did it when i had a snorkel fitted too, and without)

Hmm.........the TD5 is obviously a 5 cylinder engine but only has 4 glow plugs. On cold mornings it can take a couple of seconds for no. 5 cylinder to "catch up" with the rest. On mine this causes a sound similar to that you have described. It only happens on really cold mornings.

Hmm.........the TD5 is obviously a 5 cylinder engine but only has 4 glow plugs. On cold mornings it can take a couple of seconds for no. 5 cylinder to "catch up" with the rest. On mine this causes a sound similar to that you have described. It only happens on really cold mornings.

Why did LR only fit 4 glow plugs? The accountants at it again! :rolleyes: