Batt Light On till high revs?

keithjh

Hi All,

The battery charge light is staying on till i give it a lot of revs then goes out, alternator is charging fine once light goes out, is a right in thinking the brushes are goosed or should i just change the alt?

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

The battery charge light is staying on till i give it a lot of revs then goes out, alternator is charging fine once light goes out, is a right in thinking the brushes are goosed or should i just change the alt?

Regards

Keith

Check the connections and the earth otherwise its a new alternator i'm afraid :(

how much is high revs?

also have you checked belt tension?

it is quite normal for alternator to start charging (lamp goes off) at around 1,000 rpm - but if you are having to go beyond 2,000 then that is not a good sign.

Could be someting as simple as poor contacts so check & clean all connections and the brushes; if it is still there, you can use it but start putting pennies away for a replacement.

Also put voltmeter to measure voltage when lam pis out to check it is not overcharging as they will cost you a battery as well (13.5-14.0 V is what is should give)

I have a low tension rev counter fitted, which is driven off the alternator feed.

It does not show revs until the throttle is blipped then it shows 1000rpm.

Once this has happened the rev counter will settle down to 800rpm on tickover.

So below 1000rpm not a lot seems to happen from the alternator.

John