discovery 300tdi wont start

tracengrant

Hi can ne1 help out there wiv some info my 300td wont start if it frosted over or freezing outside can ne1 give me ne ideas on y this is happening once started it stays great all day but just wont start first thing in morning on cold day,all lights/ central locking etc works so dont think it battery freezing plz help sum1, im lost for thoughts

hi ya it doesn't turn over, the lights r all bright on dash when turn it over plug lights dont come on. This morning it actually tried to turn over but was killing batery usually it just does a click but not turn over if that makes sense sorry

I've not come across the starter motor not even trying to turn it over(all that sounds to me is theres no battery life), so cant help with that one, hope someone else on here can.

But your says this morning the starter motor was turning the engine over nicely but killed the battery in doing so. That sounds like the glow plugs not working. Or slight possiblity maybe fuel is taking its time getting to the engine (lift pump problem) ..........sure someone on here will correct me about the fuel if i'am wrong.

mine will start without waiting for the glowplugs it was minus 2 last night i would check your battery if its turning over ok and theres decent compression it should fire up check battery is fully charged and not losing charge due to the cold i have just replaced my battery after 2 years as it did struggle on a cold morning, check glow plugs when you turn on the ignition wait until you hear a click from the glowplug relay and try to start from there

If the starter is just clicking, it suggests that there either isn't enough power in the battery (unlikely if your lights are all bright on the dash) or it's an earth problem.

Try connecting a jump lead from the negative terminal of the batery directly to the starter body/earth point.

I had this issue on a 200TDi, but a new earth lead fixed the problem... Maybe your earth lead is loose and the general dampness is worsening the problem.

HTH

Adrian

Just because the dash lights doesn't mean the battery is ok!!!

A duff battery will often give 12v before you load it, then the voltage will collaspe under load.

If the battery will start the vehicle for the rest of the day, but not the next morning, this also points to it having failed.

Also, i have heard 'txt spk' is very bad for batteries too! :P

if it wont turn over then pop the bonnet and give the starter motor a crack with a bar or hammer on the solonoid if it turns over then and starts its sounds like the starter is on its way out my 200 sometimes does it if that dont work then its quite possibly the battery is naff go to a local motor factors and get them to do a drop test on the battery and that will tell you if its any good or not. ;)