Hi I am new here and need some help

dave t

Hi Guys just like to say hello I just joined.

I have a 1996 discovery 300 tdi which I just bought and it has a small problem with the glow plugs. The light on the dash lights for an instant and then goes out, I have changed the relay timer but its still the same.

can anyone help please?

Dave

Unless you are living in -15 degrees, the glowplugs on a TDi are mostly superfluous. I don't think mine are even plugged in.

If you are not having problems starting, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you are having problems starting, then I'd suggest you look for another fault (timing maybe)

Oh, and welcome to the forum - excellent choice of vehicle. :D

Put a voltmeter on the terminal of one of the glow plugs and get somebody to switch the ignition on - how long do you have 12V at the plugs for?

the voltage lasts the same time as the light, about half a second, just enough time to register on the voltmeter. I also noticed that very ocasionally the light will stay on for the normal time but only when the engine is warm

thanks

Dave

Unless you are living in -15 degrees, the glowplugs on a TDi are mostly superfluous. I don't think mine are even plugged in.

If you are not having problems starting, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you are having problems starting, then I'd suggest you look for another fault (timing maybe)

Oh, and welcome to the forum - excellent choice of vehicle. :D

it starts ok when its warm, hardly get time to turn the key and its running but when its cold firswt thing in the morning I have to crank it for 15- 30 second before fires. is this normal?

The car has done 150k but have a full and complete service history and it runs and drives like its only done 50k

thanks

Dave

the voltage lasts the same time as the light, about half a second, just enough time to register on the voltmeter. I also noticed that very ocasionally the light will stay on for the normal time but only when the engine is warm

That's a little interesting. I don't have a wiring diagram to hand, when I do, I'll look.

A TDi in good nick should fire up right away from cold without plugs. Given that yours has done 150k there may be a number of things that aren't quite so perfect - probably cheapest to get the glow plugs going.

Where are you in the country?

That's a little interesting. I don't have a wiring diagram to hand, when I do, I'll look.

A TDi in good nick should fire up right away from cold without plugs. Given that yours has done 150k there may be a number of things that aren't quite so perfect - probably cheapest to get the glow plugs going.

Where are you in the country?

I will try another relay could be just a bad coincidence that I picked up a faulty one

I am just north of Lydney on the A48 to gloucester

thanks for your help guys

Dave

With regards to starting without glow plugs, we have had a 200tdi and 2 300tdi's (currently still have 1) and both start (ed) first flick of the key in the morning with no heat!

My 200 tdi cracks into life fairly the same way, very simple affair not much wiring,...

..as for the 300tdi the timer relay isn't the only thing in the line with the heater plugs doen't it have a temp sensor on top of the cylinder head, under the rubber sound proofing and controls the time the relay is working for?

How you considered taking out the glow plugs and checking each one in turn?

My 200 tdi cracks into life fairly the same way, very simple affair not much wiring,...

..as for the 300tdi the timer relay isn't the only thing in the line with the heater plugs doen't it have a temp sensor on top of the cylinder head, under the rubber sound proofing and controls the time the relay is working for?

How you considered taking out the glow plugs and checking each one in turn?

Ah temp sensor I didnt know that, I bet thats what it is. I have checked the glow plugs and they are all working

thanks for that

Dave