Eninge stutter TD5

Hi all, I seem to have developed an engine stutter/lack of power. Its a 110 2001 TD5.

The problem suddenly started on my way back home one night. It drives fine in the lower rev range but starts to stutter and produce very little power in the higher rev range.

I have replaced the injector loom back in July and cleaned out the plugs on the ECU. I will look for signs of fresh oil at the injector loom plug tonight.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks,

Matt..

Hi all, I seem to have developed an engine stutter/lack of power. Its a 110 2001 TD5.

The problem suddenly started on my way back home one night. It drives fine in the lower rev range but starts to stutter and produce very little power in the higher rev range.

I have replaced the injector loom back in July and cleaned out the plugs on the ECU. I will look for signs of fresh oil at the injector loom plug tonight.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks,

Matt..

Matt...

It could be a few things.

Check the injector loom as you have already mentioned.

My next port of call would be to look at the turbo - and in particular the wastegate. Td5 turbo have a habit of suffering from sticky wastegates -when this happens it causes overboost (i.e. higher pressure than expected) so the ECU cuts the fuelling until boost pressure is back below the limit.

To check the wastegate, clamp a set of mole grips on the none threaded part of the wastegate actuator and try and extend the arm towards the bulkhead. If it doesn't move, or is very stiff.... remove the heat shield around the turbo, and unclip the actuator arm from the wastegate (small 'C' clip). Then try and move the wastegate arm itself separately... it should move with little or no force. If stiff or seized, give it a good soaking in WD40 and then try and free it off. Once freed off, refit the wastegate arm and go for a drive.

Ian

Thanks all. I have a feeling its going to be the pump on the way out. It was making a nice humming noise a few days back but now it is suspiciously silent :huh: . I did put my ear to the floor of the rear tub and cant hear a sound.

Is there an easy way to check if the pump is working? What id i disconnect the fuel line from the side of the filter and turn the ignition on?

Thanks, Matt.

Yep - stick your ear to the tank like you just did :)

If there is nothing at all then either the pump is f***ed or there is no power to it. You can normally hear a quiet hum, before it expires this often increases for a short time to a noise which sounds rather like a cat being fed through a mangle tail first (wheeeaaarowwwwowowowowoww), then goes quiet. Bear in mind the pump only runs for a short time (about 30 sec) after you switch the ignition on.

The bad news is that you need to either take the tank out or cut a hole in the floor to access the pump. The measurements for doing this cut without hitting anything important are elsewhere on the forum (I am not sure if it is in here, or in the Tech Archive, or in the International forum, but one of the three...)

Check power/earth to the pump before you fork out a couple of hundred beer tokens for a new one, but if it is not running I would say it is 80% likely to be the pump rather than the power to it as they aren't the most reliable thing on the planet.

a noise which sounds rather like a cat being fed through a mangle tail first (wheeeaaarowwwwowowowowoww), then goes quiet.

That's the most accurate description of the sound! Exactly what it was doing. Looks like new pump time then. :(

yup, so in the morning, when it's all quiet, climb in, put the ignition to pos II, and you'll hear it. usually you should also be able to hear the 2 stage of the pump running, ie the sound changes a little after like 5 seconds.

if you hear nothing, then the pump is not running. check the electrics first and if you're sure it's the pump, get a new one. now the fun begins. how to get the old one out and new one in.

I have done it the cheats way and cut a hole in the rear tub floor. When I put me ear right to the pump, I can just hear it but it is very quiet.

I am going to drop a new pump (well, second hand but working fine) in tonight and see if it solves the problem.

Matt.

yup, so in the morning, when it's all quiet, climb in, put the ignition to pos II, and you'll hear it. usually you should also be able to hear the 2 stage of the pump running, ie the sound changes a little after like 5 seconds.

That change is just because of the jump in voltage when the glow plugs switch off :)