Bonnet will not stay closed!

disco calla

Hi all,

First Disco and first post on here so hope you can help.

For some reason the bonnet on my 98 Disco1 will not stay closed.

I push it down or slam it down and with the slightest pressure it pops back up.

Off to do many miles on Friday so must get it sorted quickly.

Any ideas chaps??

Thanks

C. :blink:

Check the cable to the release lever is not seized - if you open the bonnet and look at the mechanism it is pretty obvious how it works, you will probably find the movement of the locking part is restricted and this is usually down to a cable problem if not that then the actual locking plate might be seized up.

The PO of mine had adjusted the bonnet so it sat slightly to the left (annoyed me to look at) but it wsa to stop that ever happening.

To open the bonnet I had to pull the release lever, (to which nothing happened) then go round to the front and shunt the front of the bonnet to the right which made it pop up to the point where I need to press the bit to lift it.

A bit of a bodge but it might work for you if you get stuck with everything else.

Just had another thought as well - a friends kept popping up on journeys he found he really had to push the lever back after use, so you pull the release cable, open bonnet - do what you want then push the cable back manually from inside the disco (just push on the handle bit) then close the bonnet - worth a try?!

Had the same problem with my '89 D1 - until the bonnet came up at 55mph and wrapped it's self over the roof. Trying to stop the car straight while only able to see the bonnet was interesting.

I through away all the cable, release, secondary catch and so-on and fitted a pair of racing bonnet pins - much more reliable :lol:

Yep i have this problem as well, Ive ordered a set of racing bonnet pins for fitting this weekend,

but as a temporay fix, have a look at the small plate, with the hole in, attached by 2 bolts just just above the centre of the grill,

It should all be flat to the panel, with the exception of 2 ridges, The part can be adjusted by losening, the 2 bolts and sliding it about, to acheive a good fit,

or failing that just cable tie your bonnet down, a tie in each corner works a treat

Dan

Hi

After pulling the handle, I always have to push the handle to its original position to get the catch to hold. It doesn't return automatically. Might be that?

You have either lost the spring, or the mechinism is sticky,try a bit of WD on it, or if you have the time remove the catch, and clean it up,