Getting a Dicovery

Adi

Hello all...i'll be buying(second hand) a Discovery pretty soon......i'd like to know what points n places should i look out for on the Disco...also unlike the Defenders...i do not have any idea about the different engines available in a disco....i meant which was/are the good version of engines in the discovery(like in defender general opinion says a 300Tdi)...?

anybody with some good points.....would be greatly appreciated. :)

cheers Adi

I hate doing this, but there is a button in the top right of the screen with the word "Search" on it.

If you select the advanced options link, then the 'further options' link, you can type the words 'buying' and 'discovery' into the box and tell it to look only in the Discovery forum.

I've just done it and the first articles of use to you are on page 2 of the results with more coming along on pages 3 and 4...

Otherwise, on a Disco 1 look for rust in the footwells, sills, inner arches, rear floor and rear body crossmember. Buy a 300TDi if you can afford it (you haven't given any budget ideas).

On a Disco 2, look for a good regular service history. Other things to look for include oil in the injector loom (quite cheap and easy to replace), dodgy air suspnsion (ACE) at the rear.......

Go on.......spoil yourself with some 'Me' time and hit the search button :D

I ended up with a 1990 200tdi with 211,000 odd on the clock. And as said in previous posts they can suffer a lot of rust.

I have had it welded in all the areas mentioned. The chassis wasn't bad thankfully. The gear box can be notchy and awkward to change gear until you get used to it.

I still own a 110csw a rrc the disco and a lightweight having sold my series.

You havn't said what you want to do with it. Because when you get it you will want to do stuff to it.

The disco has way far better power than the 2.5nad in my 110 and if I could afford the underbody protection for the disco I would off road it. I will some time.

I am not a mechanic but I can tinker, you may need to get your hands dirty. Or know a good mechanic!!!!!!

Hunt out a good one is probably the best advise.

The folks on this forum are very very helpful.