Extended mirrors for towing

Orange

I know, I know.......I don't really need them, but as I was lucky enough to pass my driving test after January 1st 1997, I don't have any allowances on my liscence, therefore need to take a separate test in order to tow anything bigger than 750kg on a braked trailer... (I know it's more complicated than that, but in a nutshell...)

So, I need to provide extended mirrors to enable the test examiner to see what is going on with the trailer - basically, I need a set of extra mirrors set up as if the car was left hand drive...

Do Land Rover offer a set (I can't find any from a brief search)? Otherwise, what have you used and found to be a good firm fit?

They are to be fitted to my TD5 Discovery if it makes any difference...

TIA

Adrian

I nearly could of helped you there Adrian , Until I read your last sentence , I was thinking Defender for some reason and suggest the Britax arms from an LDV pick up that bolt straight on , But I guess try a trailer spares outlet for extentions .

ALSO if he just used extended arms the examiner will be able to see whats going on - but he won't.

Daft though it sounds he basically needs one set of mirrors for him and one for the examiner :blink:

I know a small number of people who successfully use these:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr06.html

The Milenco universal ones 10 down the list.

I took my trailer test eairlier this year, the training/testing was done with a series 1 disco and a 14ft twin axle Ifor with cover so you couldn't use the rear view mirror.

The standard mirrors were sufficient to see round the trailer and their was a seond set of mirrors that fitted directly above the standard mirrors for the teacher/examiner.

Two sets of mirrors is exactly what is needed. One for me to look in (the standard ones are sufficient for the 14ft box trailer I will be using) and one for the examiner to look in, as clbarclay says... Basically set up as if the car was left hand drive, so the examiner can see where the trailer is in relation to kerbs etc...

Mouse Man - those are the type of thing that I have been looking at, but didn't know if anyone had experience with any that don't flap around in the wind. My only experience is of cheap ones that get thrown off at the first stop in the services because the 60mph breeze blows them all over the place!!

Chris.... :i-m_so_happy: PM on its way.

Lets see how we get on...

Thanks folks!

Mouse Man - those are the type of thing that I have been looking at, but didn't know if anyone had experience with any that don't flap around in the wind. My only experience is of cheap ones that get thrown off at the first stop in the services because the 60mph breeze blows them all over the place!!

On a td5 Discovery mirror they wont' flap,

Good luck with your test.