Rear speakers in a Defender

Cheers :)

Yes please MOG if you could that would be great...

The Pioneers are OK in that they (along with dumping the std LR front speakers for some half decent Kenwood ones) make a more "vehicle filling" sound rather than somebody muttering into the footwells, but they are pretty cheap and nasty speakers. Some better surface-mount ones would be good, same sort of size and type. But I suppose a small enclosure is never going to make a big sound :(

Voila! XS rear speakers...

med_gallery_12_276_251052.jpg

I've tried various combinations of speakers in several locations over the years and unless you can devise a large enough enclosure which does not impinge on interior space too much then the rear panel location is as good as any and easier to do than most. It is pretty academic anyway given the amount of competition any audio system has to endure in a Defender I think it's a job to get any kind of decent sound without having the audio turned up enough to potential migraine inducing levels.

I had reasonable results from hanging a decent pair of speaker enclosures from each side of the rear door in several vehicles. That said the air tended to turn blue sometimes when the heads of those travelling in the rear seats were careless enough to allow them to come into contact with the enclosures. I managed to get reasonably decent sound with good speakers mounted underneath the second row seats...

Thanks MOG.

I am planning to probably take out the rear seats in my 110 to make more room for carrying stuff - I'm not fitting a roof rack on this one as I am sick of the effect it has on-road in both handling and drag/noise.

I think I will probably go with the same setup as I had before - and may try and find some better 100mm drive units to fit inside the enclosures.

Ta :)

• 2 years later...