Dashboard grab handle?

CROWN14

I dont know if it is the same in other countries, in the US all our trucks came with SRS airbags :rolleyes: but I am lucky enough to have a normal steering wheel and passenger grab handle for my Disco. The old passenger airbag came out and the handle went in easily, but there is now a large hole in the back of it through the dash pad and my wife is complaining. Didnt really listen to her but the word "ugly" came up once or twice. Can anyone post a pic of theirs so I can see if I am missing something or am I going to have to get creative with some 5 bar?

The hole in an airbag dash is in the back of the space as well as in the bottom FF, so it will look horrible and it won't be covered by the mat.

Crown, the non airbag dash is a completely different dash unit without the space for the bag. Amazingly Google has completely failed to find an image of a non airbag dash and mine is at the wrong house at the moment so I can't take a photo. You have two options, change the whole dash (which isn't as hard as it sounds - I've done one and it took me about five hours) IF you can find one (probably unlikely nowadays) or try and make something to cover it up.

I didn't realise it had the back chopped out as well, Stephen. :P

What about fitting a moulded dash mat made for D1 & that is also self- supporting. I assume Crown can get them in the USA.

That covers everything, & mine is coloured beige to suit the dash. I bought it to cover up the lifted dash problem :angry:

In your opinions it may appear fugly, but then so was the alternative inheritance that Land Rover left many of us with..................... the crappy lifted dash, & then they would not replace it under warranty, no matter what. The selection of who they would or would not repair seemed very ad hoc.

What a great advertisement it was for them, seeing all the failed dash's in public car parks as you walked past. One would have thought they would have wanted them out of public view quick smart, but oooooh noooo. Who can say that that, may have been the beginning of the end for them?

Land Rovers built for global conditions? I don't think so. The dash adhesive failed in the UK, so stood no chance here & yet it was allegedly "exhaustively proven" world wide.

More like a junket for Land Rover "engineers"

landmannnn No, I think Persian Rug.

That is what was so frustrating, Stephen.

Instead of saying, "Hang on chaps we have a visual problem, let's get them all fixed" they didn't.

It wasn't just the dealer, it was an LR decision not to repair them. And then you'd hear where a later VIN was repaired. Maybe it was the Stealer & how hard they pushed & as it's turned out they eventually got the shove anyway.

Adhesive & assembly method I was told. Certainly the adhesive needed improving though.

If that was my biggest problem I wouldn't have any, so :P away. :rolleyes:

but then my dealer is a fine upstanding chap

But you would say that. :P:P

The hole in an airbag dash is in the back of the space as well as in the bottom FF, so it will look horrible and it won't be covered by the mat.

Crown, the non airbag dash is a completely different dash unit without the space for the bag. Amazingly Google has completely failed to find an image of a non airbag dash and mine is at the wrong house at the moment so I can't take a photo. You have two options, change the whole dash (which isn't as hard as it sounds - I've done one and it took me about five hours) IF you can find one (probably unlikely nowadays) or try and make something to cover it up.

Thats what I was afraid of. Yeah changing the dash isnt that big of a deal, I have pulled several in the course of heater core replacements on these. But as far as that goes, wouldnt I have trouble getting my hands on a LHD non airbag dash? It would probably be easier to just make something up.

Further to the above.

As a for instance, the hours of sunshine below for here, are an average therefore a Discovery dash should have been designed for these conditions at the very minimum, & these temps are not the temp on the dash through the glass, but ambient.

Dash surfaces could then be expected to be a lot hotter. being inside the glass & being in direct sunlight & vehicles driven & stored in the harsh Outback would fare a lot worse.

This is for a Latitude of 33.5* South & the equivalent Lat in the Northern Hemisphere is Casablanca.

In my opinion, it wasn't just the adhesive that failed, but also the different expansion & contraction rates of the dash top components of different materials (metal & plastics) that allowed the basic fault to develop.

This should have been foreseen if people had half a brain in their head.

Therefore as a known problem (admitted by Land Rover) all dashes should have been replaced under warranty.

They didn't did they, because as they had a massive run on them, they penny pinched & wiped their hands of the problem.

Land Rover "engineers" take note, for if I can find these figures from your own BBC weather stats then so should you have been able to & designed a Global vehicle with these conditions in mind.

Month Average Sunlight (hours) Temperature Discomfort from heat and humidity Relative humidity Average Precipitation (mm) Wet Days (+0.25 mm)

Average Record

Min Max Min Max am pm

Jan 10 16 30 7 48 Medium 38 31 20 5

Feb 9 17 30 7 46 Medium 41 32 18 5

March 8 15 27 7 44 Moderate 46 36 25 5

April 6 13 23 4 37 - 55 45 46 10

May 5 10 19 3 32 - 67 56 69 13

June 4 8 16 1 24 - 76 65 76 15

July 4 7 15 0 23 - 76 63 66 16

Aug 5 8 17 0 29 - 69 57 66 16

Sept 6 9 19 1 33 - 60 52 53 13

Oct 7 11 23 2 39 - 51 42 43 10