New vehicle with some issues.......

Timmy511

Right i went all the way from west yorkshire to oxford yesterday to buy my Ibex. im really shocked just how bad the credit crunch has made the car industry because its a total bargain.

but its got its problems......

Firstly the gearbox, its been rebuilt, ive got the recipt and everything, the bloke spent over a grand having the work done, it feel nice and tight compared to my 90s box but its noisey as sin! i put the transfer box in neutral and took it through the gears, the higher you go the noiser it becomes. under load its seems fine but whilest its just sat there ticking over its sounds horible. what would cause this on a rebuilt gearbox? wrong oil? no oil? (id have expected it to have siezed up by now) or has it been rebuilt by a gibbon?

Secondly theres a horredeous clunk that can be felt through the floor which im sure is something conected to the chassis. everytime you turn, break, excelorate or the front wheels drop into a hole theres a single loud/soild clunk. its poly bushed and im thinking a bush has gone, but how do i decide which, my first thought is the pan hard rod bushes as they go regularly when using poly bushes so im told. or would it be the radius arm to chassis bush? how to i find out?

cheers for any advice, Tim.

So you bought that one off fleabay! Not a bad price.

Suggest the diy gbox rebuild the vendor mentioned was not successful.

His mechanical ineptitude probably means that other repair work was up to similar standards - I would check all the safety stuff first - wheel bearings first, brakes second, steering joints next and so on.

It might be an idea to take it for an mot test, for £40 they will check all those bits for you.

So you bought that one off fleabay! Not a bad price.

Suggest the diy gbox rebuild the vendor mentioned was not successful.

His mechanical ineptitude probably means that other repair work was up to similar standards - I would check all the safety stuff first - wheel bearings first, brakes second, steering joints next and so on.

It might be an idea to take it for an mot test, for £40 they will check all those bits for you.

its not a diy build!

it was done by Bucks Transmissions of aylesbury, the invoice states:

seals, gaskets, syncrokit, mainshaft, oil, etc and comes to a total bill of 959.98!

im thinking he only changed the main shaft and syncro ring without doing bearings, but i cant be sure.

ive got a stack of history with it all bill ranging from 25 quid for wheel alignment up to 900+ one for the gear box and theres one for 800 to have the tranfer box done and a service! each year hes spent 250ish on having it mot'd and serviced!

as i say, i feel ive robbed the guy.

If the gearbox noise changes as you go up the gears (in T-box neutral) then its something at the back end of the gearbox or the input end of the T-box. I suggest you take the back cover off the Tbox and withdraw the input gear, then try your test again. You might find that one of the t-box input gear bearings is noisy, which is easy to replace and only slightly trickier to shim up properly afterwards.

You may find with no load on the bits in the gearbox can rattle about a bit and make noise (no I don't do gearboxes, can you tell? :P ) I'd say if it's quiet and smooth under load that's not such a bad sign. Also, if it's done no miles on the new box it may take a little bit to bed in (ISTR reading that they take a few miles for everything to go quiet)

I had a loud clonk on my Range Rover that was a single knackered bush on the front shock, in fact it wasn't even that knackered, it was just that there was a bit of play that meant it clonked over bumps.

well in hindsight and proper look the clonk might be the drop arm joint as it has a fair amount of play! and now having proper looked over the engine im glad ive only had it on the road, some tool had put the roacker breather pip just shoved down at the side of engine! first sign or deep water and that would have been a bit risky. so i too the air box off and modified it all to suit and then fitted a disco 200 tdi breather hose. sorted.

the shock bushes do look a bit perished, ill sort that with fitting my gwen lewis kit from the 90! two birds, one stone and all that.