What is this bit of pipework for ?

Stu2985

Whilst poking around under my EGR removed 1996 300tdi Auto with early engine management system and electronic fuel pump I noticed a small hole that looks like it should connected or be blanked off in the pipe that runs between by AFM and the turbo

it wasnt connected to anything or blanked off just open - does that mean its been sucking in unfiltered carp as that pipe was full of crud.

I have blanked it off for now but should it go somewhere? Disco feels as though its pulling better with it plugged

holeypipeev6.th.jpg

Whilst poking around under my EGR removed 1996 300tdi Auto with early engine management system and electronic fuel pump I noticed a small hole that looks like it should connected or be blanked off in the pipe that runs between by AFM and the turbo

it wasnt connected to anything or blanked off just open - does that mean its been sucking in unfiltered carp as that pipe was full of crud.

I have blanked it off for now but should it go somewhere? Disco feels as though its pulling better with it plugged

holeypipeev6.th.jpg

crank case breather?

holeypipeev6.th.jpg

i would say crankcase breather so where does your breather go has it fallen off or into a oil tank

holeypipeev6.th.jpg

thanx for the replies - The disco has extended breathers fitted i think 5 in total inc axles - would one be fitted to the crank case ?

where should i be looking on the engine to find the other end where this pipe should go

sorry still learning my way around discos

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi there.

I would not have thought that the axles would connect to the crankcase, rather just vent to atmosphere.

The hole in the piping that goes to the input of the turbo is for the crankcase breather pipe. It should have an elbow fitting that connects to tubing, which goes around the rear of the cylinder head and connects to the flame oil trap (from memory).

The pipe in the picture does not look familiar - was it just lying around in the engine bay ?

Cheers

Hi there.

I would not have thought that teh axles would connect to the crankcase, rather just vent to atmosphere.

The hole in the piping that gies to the input of the turbo is for the crankcase breather pipe. It should have an elbow fitting that connects to tubing, which goes around the rear of the cylinder head and connects to the flame oil trap (from memory).

The pipe in the picture does not look familiar - was it just lying around in the engine bay ?

Cheers

thanx for the replies

found the crank case end dangling down behind the back of the engine - odd how it came undone but i did haev some work on teh turbo manifold carried out few weeks ago maybe they forgot to reconnect it

does the black crankcase filter need changing mine looks awfully oily around it ?

Guest DiscoTD4
thanx for the replies

found the crank case end dangling down behind the back of the engine - odd how it came undone but i did haev some work on teh turbo manifold carried out few weeks ago maybe they forgot to reconnect it

does the black crankcase filter need changing mine looks awfully oily around it ?

Your welcome. There should be no need to replace as there is not much too it. The procedure is to remove and wash through with paraffin or diesel to clean. It's more of a trap than a filter. Although the stub that fits in the rocker cover has an O ring, on mine it was pretty ineffective so I made up a gasket using thin cardboard (cereal box type cardboard) where it mates against the rover cover, as they tend to leak/fume at the joint. Or you could use a thin smear of gasket sealant, personally I prefer cardboard as its easier to remove/refit in the future.

Enjoy your tinkering.

Best regards

Guest DiscoTD4

Ignore my comment about not recognising the pipe in the picture . Having zoomed in on it I can see it's the input duct from airflow meter to turbo and the arrow is pointing at the hole. Doooh!

I thought it was a piece of small pipe that you found under the bonnet.

Me thinks my glasses need upgrading :lol: