What is this??

nikojo

What is the switch in the lower right hand side of the console with the numbering - "1,2,3...."

I am trying to upgrade my dash console on my 1995 NAS D90 and would like to use it.

I think its a "headlight adjuster".......does this mean a "switch", ie turns running lights and headlights on and off??

If its not that can it be used or modified to do that with use of relays??

Most importantly WHERE can I get one with the "numbering", ie part numbers and or vendors???

Thanks for any help.

post-10625-1230259193_thumb.jpg

The OP wrote "I think its a "headlight adjuster", but then went on to show they didn't understand this term by writing, "does this mean a "switch", ie turns running lights and headlights on and off??"

lrfarmer has confirmed that it IS the headlight adjuster, so the explanation can be taken further by saying that it sets (adjusts) the headlights to different positions (angles), to compensate for the attitude change of the vehicle, caused by additional loads that mainly affect the rear suspension.

I don't know how it does this, but probably via an electric motor on each headlight.

Nor do I know whether the switch is available as a separate part, or only as part of the console.

I don't know if any night time illumination of the number strip changes to show which setting has been chosen, but if not, the number strip may be a separate item to the switch.

The OP asks 'If its not that (a switch for turning the lights On and Off) can it be used or modified to do that with use of relays??'

Surely the vehicle already has a means of switching the headlights On and Off, so what in total are you trying to achieve?

(In the guise of 'the elephant in the room', the unspoken thought here is 'If you have to ask the question you have asked, are you competent to devise a scheme to do what you want?).

If you just want a rotary switch to operate relays to control the lights, why not use a rotary switch from a 38A Range Rover? This has three positions, off, side lights (parking lights), and headlights (but not dip / main). This has the appropriate markings on the switch, that align against a single mark on the console as the switch is rotated.

The next comments assume the panel you have shown is from a Land Rover.

I suggest you need a wiring diagram, and you should get that from the GTR.

I'd expect the switch to be only available as new from LR Dealers, but also as second hand from breakers of accident damaged vehicles. They might only sell you a complete console, with all the switches, at more expense than buying just the switch from the Dealer.

A modern version of Microcat will probably have the part numbers in, and thus detail exactly what parts you have to buy to get both the switch AND the number strip. I don't have an operational version of Microcat.

HTH

Nikojo - it is the headlight levelling switch as described, and is fitted as standard to most 2008 onwards Defenders. It has nothing to do with switching the lights off and on - the switch for this even on latest 2009 model vehicles is basically the same unit (and fitted in the same place on the side of the column) as the one on your 1995 model vehicle.

it's known as the main headlight leveling switch. most modern day cars can automatically adjust the angle of the headlight so as to avoid unwanted glare to the oncoming traffic. headlight auto leveling is compulsory on factory fitted HID lamps.

positing 0 is normal when there's nothing placed in the rear load bay. the more you put the lower the back will sink hence the higher the front tilt will be. so when at pos 3, the beams are pointed down more. there is a connector to drive a motor in the wing itself, behind the headlamp cup.

If your model is fitted with it, the motor assembly should be there, if not it's a flat connector.