I am going to buy an L322 but which engine

Drakes

I am going to spend about £20k so will not be in the TDV8 market and will probably be the BMW petrol aswell.

So 4.4V8 or TD6 please give me your thoughts on fuel consuption, reliability, ease and enjoyment of driving and anything you know that you think I should know.

Most motors seem to be Vogues so I asume an HSE might be cheaper to pick up, it being less popular but does it still have enough toys, what are the most important ones missing compared to the Vogue

Thanks in advance, whatever you say I dont think it will put me off but it may just guide me in the right direction

I was looking a couple of years ago.

The TD6 seemed ok but with about 170 bhp and all that weight the average 2.5l panel van would out-perform you. The V8 petrol went better.

What really put me off was the 80's style interior, that colour contrast piping on the seats and polished wood may suit the us market but not to my taste. The sport was better if you like a huge centre console and no space for your legs.

Find another £10k and get a tdv8(or wait 12 months)

I bought a Td6 last November and I think it's great.

It was not bought to race around or do heavy towing so I find it fast enough and rarely use full throttle.

People say they are slow, but 0-60 is faster than my defender. I average 27-28mpg too.

If you don't boot them around they are very quiet and refined.

If you can get an 05 or later with the 06 spec. I did and it's nicer. They updated quite a lot for the 06 year and fixed some of the old problems. (like the front shaft) 06 spec looks the same as the current ones. The previous model has a flat topped front bumper. 06+ tapers up under the headlights. (like the sport)

Was originaly going for a sport but you can buy a Vogue the same year as a Sport for the same price. As the RR is more expensive when new and has more toys and space but is hardly any bigger I went for the RR.

So, to end... I got a Td6 and REALLY like it. :D

I didn't go for a TdV8 as they were LOTS more expensive.

So 4.4V8 or TD6 please give me your thoughts on fuel consuption, reliability, ease and enjoyment of driving and anything you know that you think I should know.

I had a TD6 Vogue for about 75K miles and drove a 4.4V8 for a couple of days test drive before buying TD6. From this experience..

Consumption- TD6 will be about 6mpg better ( so for every 10,000 miles a year the V8 is going to cost you about £180 a year extra in fuel)

Reliability - V8's were more relaible. I had injector issues, Driveline issues and you get idle vibration issues if fit 19" or bigger wheels. May have been fixed with later TD6's though.

Ease and enjoyment of driving - V8 is better. Easier to driver, better acceleration for overtaking, quieter and the ZF auto is better than GM gearbox in TD6.

New the TD6 was £10K less, had better depreciation and had better mpg, so I went for a TD6. Buying in your position, I'd go for a V8.

Steve

What really put me off was the 80's style interior, that colour contrast piping on the seats and polished wood may suit the us market but not to my taste. The sport was better if you like a huge centre console and no space for your legs.

mmmmmm, RR are not alone, a lot of £50K plus vehicles have piping and polished wood. It seems that's what most customer want.

Steve

Stupid question, but I have been looking at RRSports recently, so it has some releavence...

Are we talking tdV6 or td6 engines? I thought td6 was what the BMW straight 6 diesels were called rather than the TDV6 as fitted to D3's...

I was looking for a Rangie Sport for similar money to Mr Drakes, and despite driving the tdv6 I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was a tdv8.... :(

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

Having had experience of one of these, I shall give you an honest view of them.

I owned a TD6 HSE for a couple of years and I have to say I LOVED it. The only reason I got rid is that I purchased a new house and the mortgage doubled. Something had to give!!!! Gutted or what.

Anyway, down to business. The car is just pure luxury. The HSE as standard didn't come with all the goodies. The small screen and all the goodies that come with that were an expensive extra for the HSE, so most HSE's that you will see will not have it. The seats as comfortable as they are, are not quite as good as the Vogue but to be honest that is just nit picking.

The engine was a sweet diesel and performed admirably. It did lack power in some overtaking manouvers, but for everyday driving it was ample. I averaged between 25 -27mpg. Occasionally reached the 30mpg. That would give you about 450 miles from the 100ltr tank.

As far as reliability goes, I had no problems that stopped me going anywhere. I had some niggly issues such as light lenses fogging up, digits on the dash failing and rear washer not working but all were sorted by landrover bar the lenses.

I would thoroughly recommend this car to anyone. The HSE is probably a couple of grand cheaper than a Vouge of the same age and quality and would probably make the better deal unless you were desperate for all the goodies the vogue brings you. Heated rear seats i think are standard on the Vogue.

Heated Screens are standard on all too.

You will not be dissapointed with it.

Hope this helps you decide

Regards

Dave