Headlights staying on 1988 90

The headlights (dip) are staying on even when the key is removed from the ignition. I have checked the obvious such as are they switched on etc but I have to remove the fuses in order to turn the lights off. any suggestions as to what to try next?

Sometime ago I noticed that the headlights came on when I selected reverse gear but this seemed to heal itself and I thought nothing of it after that.

Regards

Mie

Stockport

The headlights (dip) are staying on even when the key is removed from the ignition. I have checked the obvious such as are they switched on etc but I have to remove the fuses in order to turn the lights off. any suggestions as to what to try next?

Sometime ago I noticed that the headlights came on when I selected reverse gear but this seemed to heal itself and I thought nothing of it after that.

Regards

Mie

Stockport

It sounds like the Dim-Dip Transformer has failed.

It's mounted on the bulkhead behind the instrument cluster (and is a right PITA to get to), it looks like this -

PRC8123-HEADLAMP-DIM-DIP-ECU.jpg

It's Part No. PRC8123 for Halogen Headlamps

and Part No. PRC6336 for Sealed Beam Headlamps

If you don't want the cost of replacing it (they can be very expensive, depending on which type of headlamps you have), you can just unplug it and have normal headlamps without the Dim-Dip function.

Dim-Dip isn't a legal requirement and your Land Rover will still pass an MOT without it.

Paul.

PS Just out of interest who has a photo of a dim-dip transformer to hand a swiftly as Paulmc???? Works for me though :D

Oooh, I'm not quite that sad :P

If I need a picture of a Land Rover part, I pinch it from this lot - http://www.lrseries.com/

They have pictures of most Land Rover parts on their website. I've never used them, but their prices seem OK for some things.

Paul.