Landcruiser tyre size and off road strength

plasticbadger

The vapour build section of my brain's been on over-drive again, thinking of how to combine the ultimate off roader with the ability to take a family of 4 everywhere with me :blink:

So my question is, does anybody know what work is required to fit 37" tyres to a Landcruiser 80 series?

The tyres would be as on my Discovery, 12.5" wide fitted to Landcruiser steels with Beadlocks, so effectively a bit more off set than standard.

Also, what about the comsumability of parts on the Landcruiser when used heavily off road? Is it like a landrover where a 6 month service involves replacing all the brake pads, wheel bearings, transfer box, prop UJs....

dont know about the tyres but i do know jap motors cant be mended in a field with gaffer tape, cable ties and a big hammer!! and the parts are definately dearer than landrover equivalents!! one of my mates has an izuzu bighorn which breaks and it takes about an hour to change the diesel filter.... not like a lanny!!!! another has a lwb landcruiser which is also s**t and a bugger to fix!! stick with a landrover man.. they rule.....

dont know about the tyres but i do know jap motors cant be mended in a field with gaffer tape, cable ties and a big hammer!! and the parts are definately dearer than landrover equivalents!! one of my mates has an izuzu bighorn which breaks and it takes about an hour to change the diesel filter.... not like a lanny!!!! another has a lwb landcruiser which is also s**t and a bugger to fix!! stick with a landrover man.. they rule.....

Not quite true, 80 series CVs from £42 (holding out on 35"s ok). Parts from Toyota are about the same price as parts from LR but you have to buy them less oftern.

Serviceing is about the same as a LR in time and parts (well a little more).

Paul

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I've already got 80 series TLC axles on my discovery so I'm already into jap parts prices, but they haven't broken yet! And the 80 series at least has a proper old fashioned diesel engine - one big wire for on, one small wire for off.

I run 35/12.5/16s ok, I do know a few who run 37"s ok, but its better to regear for them. In the states there a few running 38s.

Any idea what kind of lift, arch trimming etc. is involved for the 37s Paul? Also the gear ratio works out OK on the 37s on my Discovery, but do you know the transfer box ratio on the 80 series? If not what sort of R&P ratio are they running?

How do you get your pad's and bearing's to last 6mth's? :rolleyes:

Ah, the key is to only use it once a month, then the pads and bearings last better :lol: The transfer box still only lasts the weekend though :blink:

I do not know about the transfer box sorry, but I am sure the diff are something like 4.8, but you can also get 5.3 as well. As for what lift, on mine I could easy get 37s with about 4" lift I have as there is lots of room. One one the ones I know of running 37s is using a 6" spring lift and a 2" body lift, but the tyres look lost under the wheel archs. The other is just running a 4" spring lift. Have a reat on ih8mud.com for a lot more info.

Just do you know if your axles came off of a auto or manual? as the diffs are not the same ratio.

Paul

My current axles have 4.1 ratio, which I think is from a manual? Am I right in thinking the autos were lower ratio?

The Discovery is running a 1.222 transfer box, with a 1:1 4th gear and overdrive 5th, so I guess the Landcruiser must be higher geared in the transfer box to need the lower geared axles.

I'll have a look on ih8mud for more info, cheers

there is a question of what sort of off road situation you want to take such a big bus and family into that would necessetate 37's, however assuming that's sorted, there are different answers.

i think the upshot of the slee off road version of things is that is a pain in the ass.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm but you can read and digest for yourself.

but being honest i don't believe them and this is based mostly on the fact that americans seem to solve all suspension problems by lifting things and i don't really agree with that school of thought.

I would think that with a bit of body reshaping, not such a dramatic lift (and all that it entails) should be required and this could be combined with a small body lift. unfortunately such things can be a bit of an expensive suck it and see, but as you already have 37's to play about with, its not beyond you.

Best place to ask would be ih8mud. but being american based they'll probably tell you to lift it.

there is a question of what sort of off road situation you want to take such a big bus and family into that would necessetate 37's, however assuming that's sorted, there are different answers.

Ah, a bit more info maybe then! I'm already running a Discovery 200tdi fitted with 37" tyres and Landcruiser 80 axles (plus three link etc.) I use it very rarely for competition, but mostly do play days, green laning and trips to 7 Sisters. I love the traction from the 37's, lockers and flexible suspension, but the on-road manners are not good due to the lift, the power is too little for the weight and mostly, it's rotten.

So I'm looking for something that I can drive more on the road, can load a wife and 2 kids complete with camping gear into and still get a bit silly off road. The family won't always be with me, so that's when it will get the hammering. I'll break up the Disco so I'll already have a nearly new set of 37's on beadlocked Landcruiser wheels, winches, etc.

I agree the yanks love to lift - and that's what I want to get away from. Reading Christo Slee's report you can see he's just lifted the truck to get clearance, where as I found a truck on ih8mud.com which looks like it's got a 3 or 4" lift and 37's. My Discovery is running 4" suspension and 2" body lift and it rolls like a pig on road. I'd much rather keep the lift under 4" total and cut the body around.

The vapour build section of my brain's been on over-drive again, thinking of how to combine the ultimate off roader with the ability to take a family of 4 everywhere with me :blink:

So my question is, does anybody know what work is required to fit 37" tyres to a Landcruiser 80 series?

The tyres would be as on my Discovery, 12.5" wide fitted to Landcruiser steels with Beadlocks, so effectively a bit more off set than standard.

Also, what about the comsumability of parts on the Landcruiser when used heavily off road? Is it like a landrover where a 6 month service involves replacing all the brake pads, wheel bearings, transfer box, prop UJs....

50mm (2") spring lift using good quality springs (ie TJM or OME) and a 1" body lift puts you pretty close with the potential for some rubbing on the outer rear wheel arches.

a 2" lift is no problem as the castor in stock is pretty high, so losing 4degrees or so doesn't make that much difference on an 80. If you go above a 3.5" spring lift you get problems with the roll centre changing and anit squat issues (castor can be altered with plates and such like)

wheel bearings last a long time- do mine with original Timken and Toyo items, but should only really need doing every 40k miles or so when used off road- that is unless you use the wrong grease in which case they only last 20k miles (DOH). Pads also last 20k when used off road- although cheaper milners one can't disappear very quickly- particularly if you have the load sensing propotioning valve badly adjusted.

Prop UJs seem to last a very very long time- just had one go on mine i "think" which hasn't been changed since the vehicle was born!

dont know about the tyres but i do know jap motors cant be mended in a field with gaffer tape, cable ties and a big hammer!!

no but then neither do landcruiser need fixing in a fieled in the first place! Unless you do the work badly in the first place/

another has a lwb landcruiser which is also s**t and a bugger to fix!! stick with a landrover man.. they rule.....

not my experience of having an 80 series cruiser (what you seem to call a lwb cruiser). Its not **** in any way, and its very very veyr easy to fix as there are no seized bolts and lots of room to work in. Changing filters is about 4mins, changing cam belt and water pump is about 1 hour.

Major downside of landcruiser is the weight, which on a wet field with a side slope can be very very disconcerting. Then again on muddy climbs, having lwb and lots of weight gives truly phenomonal traction. A couple of DRDs has seen my 80 on MTs climb out of places that tricked up 90 truck cabs needed a winch for.

as to narrow bits in trees.................thats a whole different matter!

Interestingly, in standard form -

Discovery 300tdi weight = 2100kg, Landcruiser 80 = 2300kg

Discovery 300tdi width = 2189mm, Landcruiser 80 = 1930mm (without wheel arches)

It's length where the Landcruiser wins, or suffers, depending on what you're doing.

I'm not afraid to cut the arches, but I do want to keep my 37's. A set of 35" muds for daily use may be a good idea too. I think I've warmed to the idea, so now it's time to find a suitable Landcruiser in budget.

This is the kind of thing I'm aiming for Metal Tech 80

It's length where the Landcruiser wins, or suffers, depending on what you're doing.

I'm not afraid to cut the arches, but I do want to keep my 37's. A set of 35" muds for daily use may be a good idea too. I think I've warmed to the idea, so now it's time to find a suitable Landcruiser in budget.

I am surprised by the dimensions, I though they always looked a fair bit wider & beefier.

Whats the wheel base of the cruiser?

They look great kitted out & have a good reputation for reliablity. Great for towing too. But they don't flex well as standard from what I've seen.

Have you considered that off-road parts & extras are a fair bit more expensive & difficult to source. Not a probem if your a good fabricator though for most bits.

I am surprised by the dimensions, I though they always looked a fair bit wider & beefier.

Whats the wheel base of the cruiser?

They look great kitted out & have a good reputation for reliablity. Great for towing too. But they don't flex well as standard from what I've seen.

Have you considered that off-road parts & extras are a fair bit more expensive & difficult to source. Not a probem if your a good fabricator though for most bits.

UPDATE - went shopping for an 80 series, found they're all a bit more expensive than I'd estimated and bought a Range Rover....

How do these things happen? I'll probably regret it in the long term and wish I just saved my pennies, but at least it will be a quick build as I know what I'm doing with the LR stuff and have all the bits.