Its freeeeeeezing in Transylvania!

Paul64

Here's a view of Paul's village in the winter and a panoramic view in the late spring (large files!)

I don't think that winter photo does Ojdula justice as the photo is taken from one of the low lying hills across the village and then out to the plain. Ojdula is surrounded by hills on three sides with the plain opening out on one side. Anyway, I decided to venture out this morning to take a couple of pics myself. I then ventured further into the mountains as the weather is so nice today!

DSC09253.jpg

DSC09247.jpg

DSC09234.jpg

DSC09235.jpg

This last photo was taken on the river behind my house.

DSC09240.jpg

Some of you may find this of interest too!

75% antifreeze is too much. After 60% the freezing point of the coolant rises until at 100% it is only -12°C

Read this very interesting article from Alaska, where it also gets a bit cold :)

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/680.html

:blink: Jim that was a nice article- I am putting on my jacket and shooting out (from office) to drain som antifreeze....... :o

is that the same river we went threw in the village??

has risen if it is also frozen abit :)

dave

Yes, its the ford as you leave the village for the ridge in the hills. You were here in the height of summer so the water level was much lower.

Its been a bad week with my clutch going completely 4 days ago. I was in the middle of a 3 point turn in the village and was in reverse. When I came to go forward I couldn't get out of gear and was stranded in the middle of the road! A couple of villagers came to my rescue and rocked the Defender gently until I managed to get it out of gear and into neutral. I then had to start the engine in 1st gear the maintain revs and momentum to get through the gears to a town where I know an English speaking mechanic. Luckily I had a new clutch and fork on the shelf, and although he had never changed a LR clutch before he went to work with two of his staff. I should have taken some photos of this event because they were working in a poorly heated garage with next to no heating and temperature inside and outside was well below the freezing point. Lifting equipment was non existent for the gearbox and four guys had to lower it onto wooden beams across an open pit. Once changed they noticed that my old clutch plate was completely destroyed along with the bearing dislodged and one spring broken. They said the new clutch is not opening properly so will strip down the master cylinder on Monday as they believe this to be the ultimate culprit.

The only good news to being stranded in the village is that I have been following up some of the stories previously documented on here and on my blog. One subject (O/T - excuse me) that seemed to generate a lot of interest and attention was the wood burner in my house so I thought you may be interested in what I found this morning!

Istvan is one of several honey providers in the village. He has 130 hives and produces 1500 kgs of pure honey per season. His hives are placed on a clearing in the forest high in the Vrancea mountains. He actually lives there with his bees in a small caravan for 3 months in the summer and has his 3 Alsatian dogs with him to protect the hives from honey seeking bears.

In the winter Istvan brings his hives down from the mountain on a tractor drawn trailer. He performs necessary repairs and spends the winter preparing for the next season. I love Istvan's completely natural honey, and on a visit to his house to buy some we got talking about keeping warm in the long winter. Istvan's house was particularly warm and I asked what heating system he has. His eyes lit up and he asked me to follow him to the boiler room!

Istvan is a physics teacher by profession and he has designed this amazing heating system that runs on sawdust. It heats a large family home and heats the water as well.

DSC09311.jpg

To the left of the photo above you can see the hopper which is filled with sawdust in the morning. One hopper full is required per day to heat the house during the subzero temperatures of winter. Istvan acquires his sawdust from a local sawmill, which just goes to show that nothing at all in the village is wasted.

DSC09314.jpg

The fan at the bottom of the burner is driven by a 12V car battery and is thermostatically controlled.

DSC09316.jpg

Sawdust is simply fed into the top of the hopper by the sackful.

DSC09318.jpg

At the bottom of the hopper is a chain pulley system which drives a finned shaft which slowly rotates feeding sawdust into the burner. The speed of the feed is determined by the temperature in the house and is thermostatically controlled.

DSC09317.jpg

DSC09319.jpg

DSC09324.jpg

Istvan in his sawdust store.

Sticking with this thread, it tickles me that one of the more interesting and popular topics (other than my own VGT thread, of course) on this 4x4 forum recently (where we regularly burn ramblers, rip up the countryside without a thought for anyone else in it, and worship the god of crude oil of course) is an eco-friendly sawdust boiler to provide carbon-neutral heat... :) Thanks for posting up!

Sticking with this thread, it tickles me that one of the more interesting and popular topics (other than my own VGT thread, of course) on this 4x4 forum recently (where we regularly burn ramblers, rip up the countryside without a thought for anyone else in it, and worship the god of crude oil of course) is an eco-friendly sawdust boiler to provide carbon-neutral heat... :) Thanks for posting up!

You wait until I go back to this same guys house later this week! He had a cable coming from the bonnet on his Diesel VW Passat, into his house, and plugged into the wall. I asked what it was and his eyes lit up once again. Back on with the jacket and boots to investigate. It was a homemade coolant heater made up from bits and bobs. Photo to follow!

On another note the 1kg of honey I bought was absolutely delicious! Next time I drive over to the UK I will take a few jars over with me if anyone is interested.

Late last evening the wood was delivered after we loaded the horse and cart at Istvan's house. These two horses were so well behaved and the young lad that handled them managed to work them with such fine control. In the video clip below, he had slightly over run the gates to the house, so he put the horses into reverse before swinging them round into the drive.

DSC09326_edited.jpg

After the cart was loaded we followed in the Land Rover just in case any pieces of wood fell out. On arrival I opened the gates to my garden so the horses could enter.

DSC09352_edited.jpg

Once inside the garden I unloaded the cart with the help of my friends and piled it close to the guest house, ready for my neighbour to cut with his portable circular saw this morning.

DSC09354_edited.jpg

My neighbour made quick work of cutting the wood with this fine contraption!

DSC09376_edited.jpg

DSC09380_edited.jpg

Once finished my neigbour disconnected the prop shaft to the saw, raised the rig and then drove off to the next customer. All of my wood was cut in less than twenty minutes.

DSC09381_edited.jpg

I collected as much of the sawdust as possible as when mixed with a little diesel makes a good fire lighter. Foxy had other ideas though as he wanted to dig where I was collecting. He could see that I was digging faster than he, so decided to slow me down by rolling in the stuff!

DSC09386.jpg

DSC09389.jpg

DSC09393.jpg

Keep it up, Paul, I must say that this is a fascinating thread! (Not that I need any heating at the moment :) )

And to DanTD5, it surprises me that this fact about antifreeze is not common knowledge in Norway. Possibly this is because the antifreeze never carries a warning about over-use. Not here, or in Alaska. Anyway, it makes a good trivial pursuits question along with 'how can ants live in the microwave' ;)

Keep it up, Paul, I must say that this is a fascinating thread! (Not that I need any heating at the moment :) )

And to DanTD5, it surprises me that this fact about antifreeze is not common knowledge in Norway. Possibly this is because the antifreeze never carries a warning about over-use. Not here, or in Alaska. Anyway, it makes a good trivial pursuits question along with 'how can ants live in the microwave' ;)

Thanks for that Jim. I should get to some nice photos today as there was a big snowfall overnight and I am shortly going up into the mountains!

Cheers, Paul

DSC09420_edited.jpg

DSC09402_edited.jpg

• 1 month later...