the infamous 4.6 engine question

unclebill

Opinions please, am looking at a Rangy with the 4.6 engine, you see a lot on ebay with new engine fitted and i understand that they can have a problem with the top end, something about the liners can come loose, went to see one the other day and I have to admit I could hear a tappet noise as I walked up to it. I think that that engine has hydraulic tappets, a friend has said that one of the sypmtoms of liners coming loose can be a tappet like noise, so of course this has set me thinking.

So oh learned ones, any opinions, and no I don't want a diesel before you all start

Opinions please, am looking at a Rangy with the 4.6 engine, you see a lot on ebay with new engine fitted and i understand that they can have a problem with the top end, something about the liners can come loose, went to see one the other day and I have to admit I could hear a tappet noise as I walked up to it. I think that that engine has hydraulic tappets, a friend has said that one of the sypmtoms of liners coming loose can be a tappet like noise, so of course this has set me thinking.

So oh learned ones, any opinions, and no I don't want a diesel before you all start

Very very difficult to diagnose, and it may be fine and then go later.

Take it for a GOOD LONG HARD drive, check the water level when the engine is cold and make sure it is correct......

You could also do a full compression test on it too, this again is not 100% infallible, do the comp test when engine is HOT

Check the top hose is not all puffed up and hard at the end of the drive.

Other than that its '4.6V8Roulette' :blink: time

Nige

My 4.0 makes funny tappy noises too :unsure:

When you start it up when stone cold e.g. first thing in the morning, it is initially fine then after about 15 sec starts a tapping noise which sounds very like tappets but isn't. It lasts for about another 30 sec then shuts up, and doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. Never got to the bottom of it, it has been like this for probably 3 years now, never gone away, never got any worse. It worried the hell out of me at first but now I just ignore it.... I've often wondered though, if it is linked to the odd habit the engine has always had where it will drink about a cupful of coolant to get the level down about 1/2" from the mark and then not lose any more. So depending on the tappy noise it may or may not be serious :huh:

V8's, odd things to own but I still love it :D

The Tdi on the other hand makes a really loud rattly noise every time I start it up which indicates it is running normally :P:D

Early 4.6's are a bit of a lottery.

Touching wood desparetly......

There was quite a major design overhaul of the 4.6 to make the Thor engine, which is supposed to be better. Needs to be a late 'R' or newer though, individual coil packs is the easy way to spot one. Our 38a is the last of the non-Thor

Hydraulic tappets should be silent within 1 minute of starting IMHO. Often a lot less, but if its cold, or hasn't been started for a while, it takes a while for the oil to get around.

A gentle tapping noise could be a HT arcing out. I've got that on my to-do list

Other stuff such as air-con and air-suspension can seriously damage your wallet. But get a good one, and its loverly :D