4.6 engines, what to look for

unclebill

Opinions please, am looking at a Rangy with the 4.6 engine, you see a lot on ebay with new engine fitted and i understand that they can have a problem with the top end, something about the liners can come loose, went to see one the other day and I have to admit I could hear a tappet noise as I walked up to it. I think that that engine has hydraulic tappets, a friend has said that one of the sypmtoms of liners coming loose can be a tappet like noise, so of course this has set me thinking.

So oh learned ones, any opinions, and no I don't want a diesel before you all start

Opinions please, .... , and no I don't want a diesel before you all start

Good man. Looks like you have got the gist of things, if it was cold when you heard that then it's already bad. Normally it can only be noticed when the engine is hot and most commonly on over run.

If it's a slipped liner, as it appears to be, block sealant additive will not help you.

Replacement engines can be had for reasonable amounts of money, if you don't mind getting you fingernails dirty it's not that complicated to do. Alternatively there is at least one company that does "top hat" liner replacement that effectively solves the problem permenantly, the cost is about the same as that of the cheapest price for a new short block but will give you peace of mind for a long time to come and obviously a good selling point in later times.

The only risk you take with that is that you don't know if the block has any other problems, I would recommend talking to the engineers that to the conversion before going any further. Can't remember the name or details of hand but they have advertised in the rags, maybe someone else can pitch in with some info.

See the other recent post about head gaskets, some very useful info & pictures there.

i just had the same dilema's myself, i realy fancied a 4.6 HSE, but herd so many horror storys about the blocks and all the eletrical issues, it seemed to me that most P38's are just a money pit, so in the end i decided to go for a 4.0 V8i ES Disco, they dont tend to have the same amount of problems as the RR, and i must admit im realy glad now as i love it..

H

• 8 months later...

Apart fron the liners dropping, there's also the porosity problems that seem linked to this particular engine.

Ceramic motor seal will cure the porosity problem, but the liners would still have to be replaced - a lot of monety to fork out, when you could have a 3.9 that seems to last forever.

Les. :)

Apart fron the liners dropping, there's also the porosity problems that seem linked to this particular engine.

Ceramic motor seal will cure the porosity problem, but the liners would still have to be replaced - a lot of monety to fork out, when you could have a 3.9 that seems to last forever.

Les. :)

Sorry to burst your bubble,ANY 94mm block Rover v8 can and will suffer slipped liners/porus block problems,so thats any RR from 89 - 02 and any Disco v8 after the end of 3.5 production up to the end of Disco II.

No claws intended,just fed up with what could be a good engine and having to give "grim reaper advice" to punters - esp with poorly adjusted LPG setups.

Cor this is an old post newly resurrected, as a matter of interest didn't buy that one, but got another, from eblag of all places, full exchange engine 10000 miles before, brand new LPG system, seems this company buy vehicles, use them to teach how to fit LPG systems and sell them on, they manufacture them.

The company is Websters marine and Autogas on 01922638666, and I can't speak more highly of a company, I have absolutely no connection with them, the guy, Dave Webster was extremely helpful and really knew what he was talking about( and he had a 110 in the drive)

really happy with the Rangy, its got LR quirks, but what the heck.

Cheers all for your advice.

Bill