More power and torque...

Orange

Evening all!

Just a quick question for you all! Just me daydreaming and being idle really!!

Our RRC is bog standard in the engine department, and I feel the need for more grunt!! So, I'm after suggestions of cheap, but effective ways of raising the hp and the torque??

Before the V8 vs Diesel debate starts, we haven't got that much money and I've grown fond of the roar of the beast rather than the growl of the tractor!! Nothing against diesels, probably will get one one day, but you know what I mean!!!

Cheers

Adrian

The cam from a 3.9 will give you more torque whilst being a damn sight cheaper than a "proper" power cam.

If you haven't got EFi, get it. You can buy a complete setup for £100, or buy the setup minus ECU & AFM for about a tenner at sodbury and fit megasquirt.

If you haven't serviced it recently (filters, plugs, leads, cap, rotor, oil, check tune) then do that and see how much difference it makes before spending money on shiny things.

After that - shiny things ;) it's possible to get 300bhp+ from a 3.5 (see www.replica-cobra.co.uk) if you really try hard.

Evening all!

Just a quick question for you all! Just me daydreaming and being idle really!!

Cheers

Adrian

Quick question, very long answers in the books :D

Whole books on this subject alone.

EFI and 3.9 cam as mentioned above and also ITG/KN type filters are the only real cheap and cheerfulls.

If sticking with carbs, tune em, tune well, that can be a suprising increase.

The bolt on wonder gains dont work IMHO.

Cheers guys - as I expected really!!

It's already got Efi and we've recently done the plugs and air filter, but it seems to still be lacking somewhat! It's got plenty of grunt in 1st and 2nd, but once into 3rd and away up the road, the pick up seems to be lacking! When we first got it it was pulling in every gear at any revs, but that seems to have slowly disappeared and I'm now confused!!

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Adrian

Could be any number of things - as has been said a good service may make a difference, the type where you check things not just change a couple of easy service items.

Check the timing including the advance as the vac advance units are prone to dying. If you can, check the fuel pressure. Run engine flush through & then change the oil, run fuel system cleaner/redex injector cleaner through the fuel. I've heard people suggest a tank of BP Ultimate every now and then can help clean things up but I'm not sure how much truth there is in that.

The Rover ignition system is weak as standard, if you have doubts about spark then look at cap/rotor/coil/leads. Good new parts here can make a real difference - don't buy non-genuine ignition bits, it's not worth it.

If yours is EFi then there's not a lot you can do about the fuelling, unless a sensor has bust it will be the same whatever.

K&N filters etc. I don't really like. Sure they let more air through, but they let a load of other stuff through too. I'd be inclined to find a different standard filter from a LR or other vehicle (the V8 110 airbox is heeeuuuge) and fit that.