Discovery Springs?

landi41

Hello All;

Putting other manufacturers aside for the moment.

Would anyone care to comment on the best combination of Britpart" Yellow coil springs to yield a 2 " lift (all around) on a 1996 Disco V-8, with an ARB type front bumper and an electric winch...... they have 25mm, 40mm, and i believe 50mm with various load ratings....

Now having asked that, what is the memberships consensus on the best coils springs to yield the above results.......

I know there is a search feature but please bear with me on this one :)

Thanks;

Dave

Personally I don't like the lifted springs of any sort as steering problems often arise caused by the caster angle change, and unless you grease your UJ's very often the front rear (ie the rear UJ on the front prop) will cause you problems.

But if the longer spring will be compressed back to something like standard by the weight of the bull bar and winch you shouldn't have a problem.

Hi Dave, nice to see you back :) Maybe Des will be able to answer your question, but AFAIK he doesn't have a winch.

We warn people often about lifted springs in the workshop. The problem is, if it all goes pear-shaped then it is somehow our fault because we fitted the springs. We are often expected to replace the original springs (for no charge, of course).

I have just fitted +2 HD springs on my 300TDI discovery as the old ones were well past there best before date,how far they had gone wasnt evident until i fitted them today.It has totally changed it,its gone from being rattley rolley bumpy to super smooth,i did think that the HD springs might be to stiff but they are perfect and i carry very little weight in there.They are made by britpart,I know some have had problems with other parts from them but i havent and on this occasion thought i would take a chance.

I have just fitted +2 HD springs on my 300TDI discovery as the old ones were well past there best before date,how far they had gone wasnt evident until i fitted them today.It has totally changed it,its gone from being rattley rolley bumpy to super smooth,i did think that the HD springs might be to stiff but they are perfect and i carry very little weight in there.They are made by britpart,I know some have had problems with other parts from them but i havent and on this occasion thought i would take a chance.

Thanks for the info on Britpart PEASAY, thats the tree we were barking up

Did you use the same springs and load rating front and rear? Don't recall the part numbers do you?

Thanks Again;

Right i used +2 standard heavey duty rears and +2 standard heavey duty fronts,I bought them from foundry 4x4 and have no idear what the load ratings are,but as luck would have it the boxes are still in my kitchen.The rears are seriously heavey guage and the part number is DA4204.The fronts are not so heavey guage more like a standard rear spring and the part number is again DA4204.If you run a winch and heavey bumper I think I would be tempted to get two sets of rears as the fronts are softer but not by much,but seeing as i dont i opted for a set of fronts and rears.I must say im really over the moon with the difference and for the price im willing to take a chance even if they sag after 3 or so years.Well worth sitting out on my drive in minus 3 degrees fitting them.Hope this helps you mate,oh and if you find out what spring rates they are could you let me know please,be interesting to find out.I do remember looking at a spring table thingy somewhere with all the rates on but do you think I can find it!!

Im only quoting whats on the boxes and both have the same part numbers but are different in weight and guage of wire,they were bought as a kit of four and i suspect if they had been bought separately thet would have different numbers either that or they have been reboxed.either way im real happy with them.