Dicovery 1 - heated rear window

john01473

It depends really. if one of the tracks is not working you can get a repair kit for them.

If the contact has come away from the screen, DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE, you will need to buy some special stuff, that you can get from a good PC supply shop, called silver glue - it's used for fixing heatsinks to cpu's.

mmmm, repair kit?

What do they consist of then - reason I ask is that I've been trying to track down some of the paint my Dad used to use to repair the tracks on the back window of his Capri, but I've not been able to find any. Mine only has the top 2 tracks working so is next to pointless!

You could try Maplin for electrically conductive silver paint.

Finding the break is quite simple with a DMM - check there is 12V across the HRW lead connections. Ground one lead on the DMM and use the other to measure the voltage at the middle of one of the broken strips. 12V indicates the break is between the probe and ground; 0V the other side. Move the probe halfway between the first point and 12V/0V, retest. Repeat the probing, halving the distance up/down, until the break is found.

You could try Maplin for electrically conductive silver paint.

Finding the break is quite simple with a DMM - check there is 12V across the HRW lead connections. Ground one lead on the DMM and use the other to measure the voltage at the middle of one of the broken strips. 12V indicates the break is between the probe and ground; 0V the other side. Move the probe halfway between the first point and 12V/0V, retest. Repeat the probing, halving the distance up/down, until the break is found.

thanks - will get the dvm out tomorrow and start checking the tracks.

cheers

Big John

Hi There,

If there is the same voltage at both of the screen connectors, the screen will not work at all. One tag should go to the switched 12 volts and the other should get to ground to complete the circuit. The screen will draw about 100 watts, so expect it to consume 10 amps. The screen element will have low resistance. If tracks fail they will go open circuit and leave a strip not de misted. Before they go they get a hot spot on them. As the screen is clearing a dry blob appears on the track, that clears quickly. make sure you are chasing the correct fault. Use a indicator lamp bulb, with one side of the bulb on the chassis (ground) put the other to the screen tags. If it lights on both sides then it's the earth that is faulty. If it lights on one side only, then put the bulb in series with the screen. If it does not then light, this shows a faulty screen. If the elements of the screen are broken then the paint from Maplins should fix them. Use strips of tape to get the paint strip the same as the original tracks, else it will look really carp. Take your time, and good luck.