Mondeo Alternator to Disco 200TDi swap Part 2

weasel_110

Hi again chaps!

Originally the alt adjusting bracket was mounted behind the power steering pump mounting plate and the alternator lug, I decided reverse the adjusting bracket and put it in front of the mounting plate and alt lug.see pic below

post-4824-1231503801_thumb.jpg

Now then, the biggest problem was tightening the bolt and nut once the belt was at the correct tension, there was NO way I could get a spanner behind the alt mounting plate and tighten the bolt up!

So what I did was drill and tap an 8mm thread in a narrow piece of flat bar 3½" long.see pic below

post-4824-1231504051_thumb.jpg

I managed to get this behind the mounting plate and screw the bolt in.

This hangs down behind the mounting plate and as you tighten it, butts up against the power steering pump and locks

the belt tension bracket solid.

I was very pleased with this!

Here is a pic of the completed job below

post-4824-1231505172_thumb.jpg

All I had to do with the connection side was extend the charge light wire by about 4" see below.

post-4824-1231505272_thumb.jpg

Once I'd checked everything was tight, I replace the air filter and fired it up.

My dash voltmeter showed 14v on tickover, so job a success!

My battery is now on charge as it has taken a hammering going to and from work in the dark, the journey is

not far enough to put in what I take out!

Hope this will prove helpful to anyone wanting to upgrade there alternator for a more modern one than our

Landie stuff, I was tempted to go for a 300 TDi 100 amp one but for £20 quid v £80+ it was NO contest!

Apologies for the poor pic quality,I could find my camera charger and had to use my phone!

Regards

Gary

• 3 months later...

Ive done mine today, but I went to start it, I got the oil light and battery light as normal and then a click.........Now i get no lights or click its as if there is no battery attached.

The only wiring Ive done is beefed up the wiring from the alternator too the starter and legnthend my split charge wire which attaches to the battery light.

any ideas anyone.

Thanks

Dave.