"P" Gasket

basquen

Hi,

Due to replace the "P" gasket tomoorow. Got new pump, gaskets and brass bleed plugs lined up (forgot to order core plug). Found excellent step-by-step guide in the Tech Archive. Just wondered if anyone can give me an idea on torque values when reassembling. Got air-con - to add to the fun - anything to watch out for with this ?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

good to see you got it done without too much fuss. Was everything else looking good in that region after the garage doing the job? Was it an old gasket that hadn't been replaced or a new one badly fitted?

Also have you sent the V5 stuff off yet? I was surprised when Paul told me you had taken the whole thing, I haven't received anything from DVLA about transfer of ownership or de-registration.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It was I guess the original gasket pretty much burnt away at the top corner. As a bit of preventative treatment I replaced the water pump with a new one whilist I was in there although the existing pump and gasket were doing OK. Bled system OK and now zero gurgling ! I'm keeping a eye on a small leak on the radiator itself but otherwise all OK

French plates finally came through on Monday having gone through a few hoops (certificate of conformity, french MOT, customs exemption, etc.) I spoke to the DVLA last week regarding the V5 to make sure the transfer of ownership was going to be recorded OK. I've already sent off the export slip and with a covering note + photocopy of rest of V5 direct to them. The French admin can be fussy if they don't have full documents for an import so that's why I preferred to bring back the whole logbook. I'll post tax disc back to Paul today to see if he can cash in the remaining months for you.

cheers

Nick

VMT!

Glad to see it has gone through. Just wish oz was as sensible, and/or LR Oz were more helpful.

Didn't know about the rad leak, chances are the butcher boys at the garage did it when doing the timing belt, it's a tight area to work in with lots of spannering going on.

The EGR thread, I noted the performance and smoke etc when I got it and then after I disconnected the electrics. I buzzed out the electrics to determine the solenoid control volts etc. and basically as far as I could tell the EGR valve is closed at the moment. I didn't fit the blanker kit just in case I needed to put it back in for the MOT. I know the assumption is that the EGR would have stuck open at that age of car, but the low mileage and usage pattern means it was a good bet that it was till operational.