Seal / Gasket for high temp application???

Astro_Al

Its not actually FOR a head gasket, I just wondered if it was a similar temperature.

Its to seal a bit of cast iron against a water tank. The other end of the iron (20" away) will be f'ing hot, the water tank end less so. So I have no idea what temp it'll be!

Maybe I don't need the corky / papery bit and I can just throw some liquid style gasket in (high temp stuff). The mating surfaces are pretty rough though.

Cheers, Al.

doubtful - Ive used it on downpipes with nice fruity EGTs and had no probs, the labs chimney flue is siliconed up and that gets hot enough to fry body hair (obviously not Chuck Norris's beard) at a couple of metres

if your 1000c is 20 feet away it'll be happy as larry :)

if your 1000c is 20 feet away it'll be happy as larry :)

Agreed. Sadly though its 20 inches away. And its more than 1000 C.

Anyway, ta for that, I might try some of that low modulus silicone they do for stoves etc. At least it should be good with the rough surfaces.

Ta, Al.

If you have to make a gasket, then sheet alloy or copper. If you just want to effect a seal in a high temperature environment where the mating faces are in good condition, then exhaust sealant, such as Gun Gum or Fire gum would do the job.

Head gasket is a pressure gasket, not a high temperature gasket with the exception of the fire rings, which have to tolerate combustion temperatures, and they are generally steel. A head gasket only has to withstand combustion pressure and engine running temperature (about 90-degC - max). Exhaust temperature gaskets are steel/heat resistant resin sandwich normally, and older gaskets were copper/asbestos sandwich. The resin or asbestos was only there to effect a tight seal between the two parts and the steel/copper to allow the gasket to deform to do the job it's designed for.

Les.

when i was in maintanance for a fried food producer we used to use a cord gasket seal, available in loads of sizes, this stuff was good for very high temp's, would seal any surface, could be used for heat and steam, cant recall what it was called though, some more enlightened folks on here may know though,

hope this of some use

BOW..

Any woodburner/stove shop should sell the chord stuff as it needs to be replaced reasonably often on a burner, will most likley be expensive but last time i looked the 'van' had a 50m roll in the back so if you befriend the driver....