Disco 2 TD5 AC / engine fan

Haavard Guttormsen

Does anyone know how the AC / engine electric fan should work?

Is it supposed to run only when AC is enabled?

My setup is as follows:

TD5 EU3 engine and auto gearbox in a RRC. I do not have AC system up yet. It won't be connected until the summer gets back here in Norway.

I don't have the viscous fan installed because it was destruceted when the car then engine came from crashed.

I have just started the engine and have not driven it yet so I really do not know how the fan should work.

I can make a paralell feed to the fan relay from a temparature switch but it would be best to leave it as controlled from the ECU.

Yes, the aircon fan is controlled by the ECU because if you overheat the engine (or the ECU thinks you have) it sets a fault in the ECU which causes the aircon fan to run constantly with the ignition on. We often have to reset this error with the computer to stop the fans running all the time.

Yes, the aircon fan is controlled by the ECU because if you overheat the engine (or the ECU thinks you have) it sets a fault in the ECU which causes the aircon fan to run constantly with the ignition on. We often have to reset this error with the computer to stop the fans running all the time.

This is useful to know.

Jim, can I just clarify that the AC fan only normally runs when the AC is on and when needed (so not if the AC was on but it was -2'C outside)?

Cheers, Martin

I sometimes have the a/c on with the heater turned to hot to demist the inside a bit like climate control ie. a/c air blended with hot air. Could be -10 outside as it has been in the UK recently, that would not cause any problem .

The Rave manual, as you know, tells you how the viscous fan works, or how it is supposed to work. It does not tell you how to test it or at what temperature it is supposed to lock up.

In the workshop, we work on the following:

If the fan is locked solid or freewheels then it is no good

If there is fluid on the front of the fan where the coiled spring is, then it is time to change it.

If the owner complains about overheating we will often change it, and it is normally the culprit. If it doesn't fix the problem, then we put the old one back and look for something else.

On the TD5 you can hear the fan 'kick in'; not on the Tdi engine though.