What size sender?

I have been at this ***kin' thing for a while now. .....and I'm getting grumpy!

In short, defender with 200tdi disco engine. As everyone, temp gauge - pants and sender incorrect.

I bought new gauge and sender (I never did fit the sender as its the wrong size and not able/bothered to engineer an adapter). I am now not happy with the gauge as a bit bling and can't see it in the sunlight! So I am wanting the definitive answer here............ I am going to fit a VDO or Racetech gauge, but which size sender fits in the 200tdi disco engine???

I write this as this must be a very common conversion, and usually the smart ar** reply is "keep the original sender and gauge", this is all when and good, but when has anyone seen a disco instrument panel in a defender????? mad0223.gif

I like to buy from the web as local parts suppliers quite pricey, so what have you got in yours? as they say!

I'm happy now! happy0045.gif

Hi,

I fitted a 200TDI to my 90. admitantly it is the defender version. However I got a couple of temp senders from the local landy spares place. Then I setup a small gas stove on the drivers side wing with a pan of water and a thermometer. Then just conect each sender in turn to the wiring (not forgeting an earth) and place/suspend in water - check thermometer against temp gauge on dash and select the sender that give the best reading. Unfortunately I didn't record the parts no. of the one I used.

Adrian

The Disco senders have coloured plastic insert round the connector, the Defender one is black,

Defender temp sender PRC8593

Discovery temp senders

Green PRC9917

Orange

PRC8001 except Gulf states vehicles

PRC9942 Gulf states vehicles no colour code listed in EPC

Edited by western

Thanks for all that, I'm not after using an old gauge though, its a new sender and gauge, I'm guessing the thread/size is 5/8"??? Difficult to tell without taking it out and measuring it. So I was going for the lazy option and thought someone would know off hand.

I made the mistake last time of ordering a new gauge and sender off the web without checking the size you see! The sender is the wrong size by a mile and I dont like the gauge.

I want a Racetech or VDO, they seem to get a good write up.

not the answer you want but why not fit a def thermostat housing/header part with the def sensor in it and connect to def guage as will then all read as OEM.

mmm....sometimes I miss the obvious, you're right! But arent they meant to be a little 'unresponsive' to minor fluctuations? I've heard the standard guage wont move till the temp is up in the 100's, then, too late?

I could be guility of listening to too much pub talk! :rolleyes:

i run an 82deg thermo with mine and oem sender and guages, you see it respond to the thermo opening etc, seems to work OK for land rover and despite the updates everyone does to thier vehicles LR do actually have a large R&D cell so you would have thought the std one was upto the job.

You're probably right James, but by your own admission on the Disco forum:

my old mans 200 discos' guage never got above the 1/4 mark from the bottom, we ran another guage on it to get a true reading and it was at actual correct running temp, just the LR scale didn't illustrate it very well.

This is why I was going for an aftermarket version. I admit, a gauge is a gauge? I assume its the quality of the resistor inside that does the job rather than if its painted with numbers?

The original 'TD gauge' in the vehicle was incorrect for 200TDi engine, so if I am going to lash out for a new gauge I wanted one with a new sender that did a good job.

Mind you if I can get one from a scrappy, that will change my mind :lol:

You're probably right James, but by your own admission on the Disco forum:

This is why I was going for an aftermarket version. I admit, a gauge is a gauge? I assume its the quality of the resistor inside that does the job rather than if its painted with numbers?

The original 'TD gauge' in the vehicle was incorrect for 200TDi engine, so if I am going to lash out for a new gauge I wanted one with a new sender that did a good job.

Mind you if I can get one from a scrappy, that will change my mind :lol:

If you go to Halfords and ask for a TIM guage it is the right size to fit defender dash, and comes with a selection of senders 4/5 course thread fine thread, and its the right colour =black 26.00

hope this helps,

thought you may see that, but it did still respond to the temp changes OK just showed it at the wrong place on the guage (or the right place if they were expecting large increases in temp!!!!)

time for a bit of electrians tape at the "Normal" I'd say! But I get your point! :P

LandRoger, that sounds great! I'll take the old sender down as I'm bound to get it wrong again!

Right where's that balaclava I use for a trip to Halfrauds? kenny.gif