Slight rattle noise when starting from cold

kustomtony

I own an S reg Range Rover P38 DSE automatic, when i start from cold it seems to have a slight rattle noise when i hit 2000rpm,after a mile or 2 it loses it and its fine for the rest of the day. anyone else had the same problem?.

i dont think its anything serious as the oil light goes straight out.......it sounds more like a tappet or top end noise than anything else.

any thoughts?????

cheers guys

Could be the cats rattling, when they are on the way out they seem to make the most noise when you just start up when the engine is cold. Try getting underneath when you first start it up & having a good listen to see if it is that.

• 3 weeks later...
Could be the cats rattling, when they are on the way out they seem to make the most noise when you just start up when the engine is cold. Try getting underneath when you first start it up & having a good listen to see if it is that.

i have same problem with my p38 2.5 diesel .bmw 6 cylinder td . start from cold ran fine till 2500 rpm then an anoying rattle comes from what sounds like top of the engine and increased with engine speed . after a few miles all was fine .no rattle nothing . called up my local dealer harwoods asked if there common probs with hydrolic tappets or timing chain tensioners .they said never sold chain tensioners so unlikely that and tappets are £15 each and theres 12 of them . befor i went down the road of taking engine apart i changed the oil and filter and has made a world of difference noise almost gone just a very slight rattle .. from what i can gather its the chain tensioners may get tad lazy with age and like to be fed good clean oil .so next on the list is a good engine flushing oil.drain that out. followed by fully synthetic engine oil 5w30 and new filter. ..

yeah that makes sense, think i'll give mine a flush and oil change. thanks

:angry::rolleyes:

i have same problem with my p38 2.5 diesel .bmw 6 cylinder td . start from cold ran fine till 2500 rpm then an anoying rattle comes from what sounds like top of the engine and increased with engine speed . after a few miles all was fine .no rattle nothing . called up my local dealer harwoods asked if there common probs with hydrolic tappets or timing chain tensioners .they said never sold chain tensioners so unlikely that and tappets are £15 each and theres 12 of them . befor i went down the road of taking engine apart i changed the oil and filter and has made a world of difference noise almost gone just a very slight rattle .. from what i can gather its the chain tensioners may get tad lazy with age and like to be fed good clean oil .so next on the list is a good engine flushing oil.drain that out. followed by fully synthetic engine oil 5w30 and new filter. ..

• 3 weeks later...

HI!!!

I have a P38 DSE aswell. I live in the canary islands, here is not very cold but rattles when started in the morning. doesnt last long.

Do have two problems.....hope you can help!!!

When driving...suddently I have lak off power and the inyector light comes on.........if you are running in motorway and 5 gear you can just wait for it to go out and keep ok. But if going uphill you stop and the engine goes off and the inyector light go on. Either way...you turn off the key...turn it on again and off you go....with not much problem!!!What can it be???

Have aswell the EAS in hard mode...but have allready replaced the airsprings (and made some independant ail intake lines so I have it pumped up), replaced all the rubber seal in the solenoids,aircompresor and the rest.....Do I have to take the car to LR dealer to have it reset??? (Have got tha cable and software but doesnt seem to work......?)

Thanks for the help!!

Adal (Tenerife.Canary Islands,Spain)

Hi Adal

You might get more response by posing this on the International Forum - The Range Rover Forum is very petrol-minded :P

You say the injector light comes on - do you mean the Engine Management Light?

If its the engine management light coming on - the engine will default to limp home mode. If this is the case then it sounds like an intermittant fault that clears itself. Howver, once the warning light comes on the engine will stay in limp home mode untill you switch the engine off and restart the engine.

Intermittant faults include dodgy wiring connections, worn through wiring etc.