Build date

Clean the top face of the rearmost outrigger on the left hand side. You should see four numbers. The latter two denote the year of manufacture and I'm led to believe that first two denote the week. The numbers on mine are 0889. When I was rebuilding my 90 back in 2003 I had dismantled the dashboard and found a couple of labels with inspection dates on them and both of them read 23rd February 1989 (if I remember correctly I found the dates stamped on the fabric covering the panel holding the rear wash/wipe switch and accessory socket and another one on the wiper motor). 23rd February is more or less week 8, hence 0889 (week 8, 1989). Apparently Land Rover stopped stamping these numbers on the chassis some time in the mid 90s.

Clean the top face of the rearmost outrigger on the left hand side. You should see four numbers. The latter two denote the year of manufacture and I'm led to believe that first two denote the week. The numbers on mine are 0889. When I was rebuilding my 90 back in 2003 I had dismantled the dashboard and found a couple of labels with inspection dates on them and both of them read 23rd February 1989 (if I remember correctly I found the dates stamped on the fabric covering the panel holding the rear wash/wipe switch and accessory socket and another one on the wiper motor). 23rd February is more or less week 8, hence 0889 (week 8, 1989). Apparently Land Rover stopped stamping these numbers on the chassis some time in the mid 90s.

Thanks. I'll look there. First, though, would you mind telling me what an outrigger is? :blush: I'm sure I'll know what you're talking about, but where I come from outriggers are only on boats. I need to learn some LR nomenclature.

A Outrigger is part of the chassis that sits 90 degrees to the main rails welded to the outside face of the main rails, a good example is under the bulkhead [or firewall] under the front floor where it's attachent bolts are located.

Got it. It's pouring out so I'll have to check it another time. Hopefully I'll find something useful there. That VIN checker was neat, but I'm looking for more of a specific build date.

do you have any of the vehicles original UK paperwork or it's UK registration document or number, that would give a better idea of it's age/date of registration.

No original paperwork. I found a "2588" near the outrigger. I guess that means it was built around the middle of June 1988.

2588 = 25th week of 1988, so it should be fairly easy to work out, given a working week in UK is Monday to Friday.

Sooooo.....I guess that means it was built around the middle of June 1988. I'm confused about what a working week being from Monday through Friday does to change the formula.

doesn't do anything, just means the first day of that 25th week is a monday, you may find a day date elsewhere on the vehicle,

Ah, got it. Had me thinking for a minute that there was something I wasn't taking into account. Thanks, all.