defender engines

Hi all,

I was speaking to my friend who is helping me with a project landrover, and he thought that this might be a good idea to fit this in:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=tab%3DWatching

His suggestion was to have it mid mounted, however I was wondering if any one else thought that it was a good idea?? (I personally wasnt convinced however if people think its a good idea i might reconsider it... :) )

I am sure it is to long for a landrover engine bay.....

Thanks

Grant

Hi all,

I was speaking to my friend who is helping me with a project landrover, and he thought that this might be a good idea to fit this in:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=tab%3DWatching

His suggestion was to have it mid mounted, however I was wondering if any one else thought that it was a good idea?? (I personally wasnt convinced however if people think its a good idea i might reconsider it... :) )

I am sure it is to long for a landrover engine bay.....

Thanks

Grant

I would have thought much too heavy for a LR chassis, too thirsty on fuel and can you fit a transfer box?

sorry buddy on thursday I am trailering a BMW to the doctors and fixing lights on a different trailer, cos i am collecting the running gear for the project on friday/saturday, a more sensible 200tdi disco engine and box with all ancilleries and other bits associated

Im down south already btw and i am collecting the metal for the cage tomorrow aswell...

or.......... you could come down here :D

Haha, unlikely! Not with all the work i've got to do. Picking up the parts for the project sounds good! Have you got a defender gearbox for it yet? You realise the one out of the disco wont fit right?

Did you get the steel from evans's in the end? Might ask you drop into my house if you dont mind and grab a couple of things.

Disco box is a 'short stick' you'll need a 'long stick' to put in your project as your using defender bulkhead and body work ect. Unfortunatly it's not as simple as just swaping over the tops to put the longer stick on, the whole outer casing is different. Basically you'll need to find yourself a defender LT77.

Give me a shout when you get up to the scrap yard :rolleyes:

Disco box is a 'short stick' you'll need a 'long stick' to put in your project as your using defender bulkhead and body work ect. Unfortunatly it's not as simple as just swaping over the tops to put the longer stick on, the whole outer casing is different....

What gets in the way though?

since we are custom building the seatbox and the transmission tunnel, where will it not fit round as such?

Well take the bulkhead as your dateum. You cant build the seat box lower than it is in the defender because you wont be able to see through the windscreen. Using a disco gearbox will mean that you will be reaching down to your gearstick. I guess you could lengthen the shaft of the gearstick but even then mountings for the transfer box, high-low difflock lever will be hard up against the bulkhead as it sits forward of the main gear lever in the disco. It's got to just be easier to fit a defender box??

Well take the bulkhead as your dateum. You cant build the seat box lower than it is in the defender because you wont be able to see through the windscreen. Using a disco gearbox will mean that you will be reaching down to your gearstick. I guess you could lengthen the shaft of the gearstick but even then mountings for the transfer box, high-low difflock lever will be hard up against the bulkhead as it sits forward of the main gear lever in the disco. It's got to just be easier to fit a defender box??

hmm good point........

The previous owner had a gearbox and all other components fitted and complete and almost had the vehicle finished, then changed his mind and dismantled it all....

Will email him unless he sees this thread, about which gearbox i am meant to use, but as you said, cheap enough to swap it out, i think :)