timing belt system

mfo20

Hi everbody.

Long time ago, I cam across a system using "toothed wheels" as a replacement for the timing belt system.

Benefits would be ofcourse ease of maintenance and less prone to damage.

I have lost the information (can't remember were a saw it - my Land Rover magazines collection got lost) and I am now wondering if anybody has used such a system or knows more about it and where to get one at a reasonable price.

Vehicle is a 1997 300Dti Discovery.

Thanks.

Hi everbody.

Long time ago, I cam across a system using "toothed wheels" as a replacement for the timing belt system.

Benefits would be ofcourse ease of maintenance and less prone to damage.

I have lost the information (can't remember were a saw it - my Land Rover magazines collection got lost) and I am now wondering if anybody has used such a system or knows more about it and where to get one at a reasonable price.

Vehicle is a 1997 300Dti Discovery.

Thanks.

Don`t do it i bought my 97 disco that had a goosed engine because of these timing gears, they had only been fitted for 2000 miles. Luckily for me i got a very cheap disco :rolleyes:.

Keith

I was lucky in that the local distributor charged a terrific markup on Zeus' price in the UK. I tried to buy one direct but they would not let me.

It was part of my 'low maintenance' idea that I had at the time. I did, however, fit a K&N filter (for a while grrrrrrrr )

That reminds me that my cambelt change is overdue at 75k kms :(

Thx for the info.

Did a search on zeus timing gear. Many articles with a split opinion on the 'essence' of fitting one and the quality seems to be a questionmark as well.

As this topic was discussed about more then a year ago, I asume that:

1) quality must have improved by now

2) reliability as well

3) price must have come down

or

4) product has been dincontinued???

Any idea about current prices if still available?

The reasons why I still consider fixing one is:

1) the mechanics where I live and work are good enough to fix a bycicle but nothing more complicated then that or changing a tire at most (have seen brake pads being replaced with a 2.5kg masonry hammer!!!)

2) even IF you find a proper mechanic that knows a bit of Discovery's, then the parts he will be using are secondhands or completely scrap and the bill you get presented will knock you out off your seat

3) am not sure (yet) about my own DIY skills to tackle this timing belt replacement job, but with 150,000 miles on the clock I believe it is a must to replace it?

Any more hints, thoughts???

Regards,

mfo20.

http://www.zeus.uk.com/land-rover.php should be able to answer the cost question - still seems to be available

Check out our LR4x4 Tech Archive forum there are details on how to change a timing belt in there. The interval is 60k miles so if you have 150k miles on the original belt and it still has all its teeth I am amazed!