rear crank seal replacement

Hamish Grundy

hamish give me a ring over the weekend and i'll tell you the easy way. as i have done it lots of times with the racer and i've got it down to an art as i can get the box out on the floor in 30 mins. my mobile is 07917801590.

adrian.

hamish give me a ring over the weekend and i'll tell you the easy way. as i have done it lots of times with the racer and i've got it down to an art as i can get the box out on the floor in 30 mins. my mobile is 07917801590.

adrian.

ok cheers mate, doubt il get time to ring u 2day sorry, il have to take the engine out cos i havnt got the room to move the autobox back, from what i can see in the book i just have to line it up and apply slight pressure to the engine whilst turning it over with a socket, it just worries me that the only way il know that its ok is when its all back it, and if i have cracked the gear il have to pull it appart again. i think i may just have to bite the bullet and do it, saying that... it will probly still be that same at the next event ha

the thing to do mate is to undo the torque convertor from the engine, i.e leave it attached to the box. when you do this just hold it in place with a couple of cable ties. then you don't have to worry about the seal on the gearbox pump. then you can take the engine out, change the seal, then but it back in and re-attach the torque convertor, i is only 4 bolts on a standard box which isn't to bad compared to my racer which is 8 bolts. just make sure when you do them back up you put some lock tite on the as you don't want them to come undone as it will bend the flexi plate if they come loose. any problems then give me a ring you have my number.

All the torque converter bell housings I've seen have an removable plate so that the flex plate can be unbolted from either the torque convetor (in the case of the LR autos) or the flywheel while the gearbox and engine are bolted together.

If the torque covertor does come off the gearbox then you just place it back on, apply ligth presure while turning it and turning. As each set of splines lines up the torque convertor moves back a bit further. With the gearbox and engine back together just turn the flywheel untill a hole in the flex plate is accesible and spin the torque covertor round to line up the holes.

All the torque converter bell housings I've seen have an removable plate so that the flex plate can be unbolted from either the torque convetor (in the case of the LR autos) or the flywheel while the gearbox and engine are bolted together.

If the torque covertor does come off the gearbox then you just place it back on, apply ligth presure while turning it and turning. As each set of splines lines up the torque convertor moves back a bit further. With the gearbox and engine back together just turn the flywheel untill a hole in the flex plate is accesible and spin the torque covertor round to line up the holes.

il have to have a look, thanks to you both for your help, does anyone know if the 300tdi has a removable plate on it? cheers.