Cruise vac pump location

nige90

Why is it as far away as the engine bay permits requiring long runs of

Easysplit pipe.

Surely it would be much better relocated next to it ? It's not as if there's

no room.

I would imagine this would also reduce the response lag.

Anyone done it ?

Once a vacuum is in existence, then the response time should not alter as the pump runs all the time when it's activated.

If you are looking to save milli-seconds of response lag ;) then maybe you should be looking at the actuator bellows linkage adjustment. Maybe that's out to blazes.

What response delay? just press the 'SET' switch take the foot of the accelerator pedal and the disco carries on, as easy and as quick as that.

It's the hose ends that split (unless you have very old tubing of course) therefore it doesn't matter if the tube in between is two metres or six metres long.

Once again with a Disco 1 we have a non working cruise control

I have looked at the hoses and all seem ok , apart from the connection to the vac pump

I presume that this is below the jack tray which is riveted in ?

Or am I missing the obvious or do I have to drill out the rivets and remove the tray

Many thanks

Baldy

Guest DiscoTD4
Why is it as far away as the engine bay permits requiring long runs of

Easysplit pipe.

Surely it would be much better relocated next to it ? It's not as if there's

no room.

I would imagine this would also reduce the response lag.

Anyone done it ?

that's because it was designed by the same muppet that decided on the location of the starter motor top bolt and also the position of the engine serial number :lol:

The whole thing is a real Heath Robinson affair. The EDC motors are drive by wire, it would have been so easy to have used direct electronic feed to the EDC for cruise control, but for some reason decided to go with the lash up arrangement that does not actualy work very well. I use mine a lot on the motorway when towing and would'nt be with out it, but at low speeds you will find it hunts all over the place with a tolerance of around +/- 3mph. They were like that from new, so it's a design 'feature'.

I am concidering modifying the CC ECU to feed the EDC directly which should have a much tighter coupling.

Regards

I have looked at the hoses and all seem ok , apart from the connection to the vac pump

Or am I missing the obvious or do I have to drill out the rivets and remove the tray

Many thanks

Baldy

The pump is rubber mounted, but I repaired my hose end by first having a look with my mirror on a stick thingy, then pulling the hose off the pump, easy as it was split, trimed the end and replaced back by feel. Only took 5mins.

All my hose ends now have a lap or two of pvc electrical tape so the split will not happen again

Just like this.

Thanks Teabag, will have a look at weekend if its not too grottty

If it is bad weather then stuff the cruise I want to go out and play !!!!

I would like to get it sorted as we have a couple of really long runs this year and it will make life easier

Baldy

Guest DiscoTD4

Many thanks

Baldy

nip underneath and you will see three rubber grommets which are the mountings for the pump. Push them in from underneath and it frees the pump so you can retrieve from top side. The length of the electrical cable connecting to the pump is a bit tight, so you may only just be able to bring it into view.

Cheers

There is also another end to the tube below the steering wheel - remove the trim above the pedals and you will see it.

my T peice is located above the brake servo not behind the washer bottle

I cut back the pipe at the pump, acutator and 3 ones that join the T peice and aobve the brake pedal

still didnt work

guess its the ECU - anyone know how to test the pump you can do it by putting a lvie feed across it i heard ?