Discovery temperature gauge

nicedayforit

Can anybody tell me if a temperature gauge in a discovery or any other vehicle for that matter reads in a linear way. I have an idea that the gauge gets up to a certain temperature (about 40degC) and stays there irrespective of engine temperature until the engine temperature rises above another set temperature and the starts to indicate again.

Anybody know?

Something like that yes.

Land Rover in their infinite wisdom design the gauge to it reads 'normal' until your engine starts to get really hot. By the point that the gauge has moved beyond 'normal' and into 'toastie' you need to pull over sharpish.

In practice your engine (I'm assuming a diesel) will run at anything from 70-100 degrees depending on load (bear in mind your thermostat will open at 82). If this was indicated in the gauge it would scare 'normal' people.

Something like that yes.

Land Rover in their infinite wisdom design the gauge to it reads 'normal' until your engine starts to get really hot. By the point that the gauge has moved beyond 'normal' and into 'toastie' you need to pull over sharpish.

In practice your engine (I'm assuming a diesel) will run at anything from 70-100 degrees depending on load (bear in mind your thermostat will open at 82). If this was indicated in the gauge it would scare 'normal' people.

Yup, analouge up to "normal" and switching to the high/red zone, or as I call it:"The too late position".

I installed the "Little Black Box EMS IV", and a seperate analouge temperature gauge, reading the actual head (not water) temperature, and as jamesmorfee mentioned the head temperature is 100 +/- 10 º C. I posted a pic a while back.

Cheers

To get a real appreciation for the LR temp gauge "action", install a VDO with its appropriate sensor, and see the difference. I often towed a trailer in summer and the standard gauge always showed the temperature to be fine. (I'm in South Africa, summer temps in certain parts of our country get close to 40 Celsius)

After installing the VDO, I tapped off on long inclines, cause the temp gauge moved rapidly to 110 ! Scary !

Can anybody tell me if a temperature gauge in a discovery or any other vehicle for that matter reads in a linear way. I have an idea that the gauge gets up to a certain temperature (about 40degC) and stays there irrespective of engine temperature until the engine temperature rises above another set temperature and the starts to indicate again.

Anybody know?

To get a real appreciation for the LR temp gauge "action", install a VDO with its appropriate sensor, and see the difference. I often towed a trailer in summer and the standard gauge always showed the temperature to be fine. (I'm in South Africa, summer temps in certain parts of our country get close to 40 Celsius)

After installing the VDO, I tapped off on long inclines, cause the temp gauge moved rapidly to 110 ! Scary !

Thanks for the replies gents, I've had a suspicion for some time about the operational characteristics of these gauges, now I understand.

Talking about a 300tdi in England where summer temps get close to 20 Celsius. (on a good day)

Time to invest in a supplementary gauge I think.

Thanks for the replies gents, I've had a suspicion for some time about the operational characteristics of these gauges, now I understand.

Talking about a 300tdi in England where summer temps get close to 20 Celsius. (on a good day)

Time to invest in a supplementary gauge I think.

It's pity the temperature gauge of the Discovery is an insitu gauge, the Defender's factory gauge and the VDO is interchangable, thus no loose instruments on the dash as with my extra one.

post-4154-1233935091.jpg

Thys,

Nice gauge set-up - where'd ya geddit?

Thanks stageonesimmo,

I did not buy a VDO, went to a national spares franchise, Midas. The Eques gauge cost me R 189.00, and fortunately the backlighting was the LR green.

Cheers

We have had customers who complain about the VDO gauge because it goes up and down as you go up and down hills. It is true that many owners don't want the gauge to move. We suggest they stick one of those smiley face stickers over the gauge :)

ps. The TD5 gauges ARE VDO, but they have been deliberately crippled to act like the old Tdi gauges. The ECU, of course, knows exactly what the temperature is and you can watch that if you have a Nanocom plugged in.

We have had customers who complain about the VDO gauge because it goes up and down as you go up and down hills. It is true that many owners don't want the gauge to move. We suggest they stick one of those smiley face stickers over the gauge :)

ps. The TD5 gauges ARE VDO, but they have been deliberately crippled to act like the old Tdi gauges. The ECU, of course, knows exactly what the temperature is and you can watch that if you have a Nanocom plugged in.

Now I have a question; what on earth is this Nanocom thingy? My Disco is pure mechanical, so please be patient. <_<

Thanks