D3 TDV6 or RR TD6 for towing

stobbie

I'm probably selling my D2 TD5. It has been a perefect car, no problems except for a new gearbox at 200000miles. Super reliable and very good for towing.

But now it's got 250 K on the clock .......

So I need another car, I do at least 40000 miles a year and I want comfort, so I'm not gonna tow in my defender.

I'm thinking about a D3 or a RR TD6. I know nothing about these cars.... So I have a lot of questions, I hope someone has answers..

-Which one is best for my use? lots of miles and almost all with a 3 ton trailer through all of europe.

-Should I choose a manual one or an auto gearbox, I prefer auto, but I know that the D2 auto is not good for towing. But maybe with these newer cars the auto is as good as the manual

-Reliability.... What to expect, will they be as good as my D2?

-fuel consumption, which one is cheaper to run tdv6 or TD6?

-what to look for when buying? weak points on these cars?

All info is welcome!

Well I had a RR sport tdv6 and it was superb, the most comfortable RR yet, I drove several times from birmingham to central Switzerland 16hrs hours at the wheel in all weathers and I can honestly say I could have turned round and driven straight back home. I towed on a regular basis with my 20 ft trailer with my offroad RR classic on the back. On many occasions i forgot it was there and found myself chugging down the motorway at 70-80 mph. I did have my ecu remapped by JE Engineering which gave me more power and better MPG. I never had an issue with the car and would still have it today if they had`nt bought out the sport TDV8 which is what I have now, and if your budget stretches to it then get that one its absolutely awesome. :D:D

Good luck

Tim

Hi

Last autumn i used a D3 TD6 Auto to tow a 3.5 ton trailer across europe into Bosnia, all i can say is superb effort less tow vehicle never new the trailer was on the back. Fuel averaged 16 to the gallon but if you consider what was being towed not bad at all.

Keith

no question tdv6 over the old td6 in the RRV without doubt.

Auto - all the way. definitely a must for towing in my opinion, new autos are a relevation over the d2 auto they also have the option to drive manually.

i would go top of the range tdv6 HSE D3. HSE comes auto as std.

Now if your comparing to a tdv8 RRV against a D3 then i would go with the tdv8 vogue SE.

D3 has tonnes of load carrying space for lots of bits and pieces too if you dont need that and want more comfort and better engine choice then tdv8 RRS - same T5 platform as D3.

D3 normal 28-31mpg, towing 22 assuming its not the really hilly bit of Europe!

TDV8 i would expect better mpg towing as it wont have to work as hard, but then there are alot of cylinders to fill!

tdv8 does better mpg compared to the tdv6 for a mix of driving on and off road - well from my experience anyway.

reliability wise - tdv8 starters dont like getting wet

Quickie: the L322 (MK3) Range Rover is only available as an auto, no matter which engine it has under the bonnet.

But of course, there's alway the argument that the 4.4 V8 (which is a much nicer engine for the RR) will work out around the same price in fuel given the consumption/fuel cost ratio.

TD6!!

Take a RR TD6 for a test drive. It feels sluggish and flat without a trailer.

It is sluggish in its original form however it is a BMW engine the same one they put in an X5 except in the X5 it puts out about 225 bhp quite nippy, so when the boffins at Solihull put it in the RRV which I might add weighs about the same as a semi detached house, they limited the power down to a measley 178 bhp (clever) it is a very easy affair to chip it back up to where the guys at BMW run it: 225 bhp, then it drives quite nice and gives better mpg.

Tim

It is sluggish in its original form however it is a BMW engine the same one they put in an X5 except in the X5 it puts out about 225 bhp quite nippy, so when the boffins at Solihull put it in the RRV which I might add weighs about the same as a semi detached house, they limited the power down to a measley 178 bhp (clever) it is a very easy affair to chip it back up to where the guys at BMW run it: 225 bhp, then it drives quite nice and gives better mpg.

Tim

IMHO it still feels too unrefined for a Range Rover. Both the Jag and BMW 4.4l V8s are nice engines. The TDV6 and TDV8s are a massive step up if you want to run diesel so if the choise is just down to the 2 you mentioned then D3 TDV6 auto all the way!

IMHO it still feels too unrefined for a Range Rover. Both the Jag and BMW 4.4l V8s are nice engines. The TDV6 and TDV8s are a massive step up if you want to run diesel so if the choise is just down to the 2 you mentioned then D3 TDV6 auto all the way!

Oh I agree the TDV6 is a much nicer engine than the td6, its worlds apart, however for long trips and doing 40k a year if the budget stands it I would go for the Sport, its more powerful and a lot more refined IMO.

Tim

Thanks for all replies!

I don't have too much money so a TDV8 is out of reach.

I think I will buy an early D3 TDV6 (but I think the RR is better looking, but that's not really an argument, I make my money with my car, so I just need the one that will suit my needs best)

Unfortunately these cars are a lot more expensive in LHD than that they are in the UK. (I live in Holland, but I think I will buy in France or Germany)

Oh I agree the TDV6 is a much nicer engine than the td6, its worlds apart, however for long trips and doing 40k a year if the budget stands it I would go for the Sport, its more powerful and a lot more refined IMO.

Tim

tdv6 more refined in the RRS than D3 - how so? or just the RRS is more refined? agree with the latter.

But you are used to driving RHD as well, so why not buy in the UK , swop the lights out, and be happy... As it will be a non-commercial, I see nothing wrong with that.

theres a little lever on the RRS to switch the dip from RHD to LHD on the xenon light option, i think its on the D3 too.

But you are used to driving RHD as well, so why not buy in the UK , swop the lights out, and be happy... As it will be a non-commercial, I see nothing wrong with that.

It will become a commercial. Roadtax otherwise is way too much for a car that I'm only using for my business. Roadtax for a D3 is € 2685 ( ~2376 pounds) a year but for a commercial only € 544,- ( 481 pounds)

The same with import tax; none for a commercial but around € 10.000,- for a normal one