sudden loss of drive?

Hi Guys

Took the old 110 for its MOT this morning and on the way back the damn thing lost it's drive, it makes a few juddering noises and tries to move with no real sucess. It made no sudden bangs or anything just refused to go as I was pulling out of a junction. Diff lock gives me forward and reverse again.

I have established that rear drive is working and the front has failed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received and will I damage it further by usung in this "two wheel drive mode".

winch last week, wheel bearing advice at mot and now this, I love landrovers :angry:

Cheers Chaps

Mark

I have established that rear drive is working and the front has failed.

How? just checking...

Yes, prolonged driving in 2wd will put more load on whchever half of the drive train is still working.

If it is the front, you're looking at either of the CVs, or the diff. It's also worth checking that the splines on the hub cap & CV shaft haven't failed on either side.

How? just checking...

Yes, prolonged driving in 2wd will put more load on whchever half of the drive train is still working.

If it is the front, you're looking at either of the CVs, or the diff. It's also worth checking that the splines on the hub cap & CV shaft haven't failed on either side.

Hi I established it was front failure as mot man is a mate so I had the chance to pop the ol girl on the ramp as it failed about 5 mins after the mot, I blamed him for wiggling the wheels and the like during the test :rolleyes:

Diff, half shafts, CV or drive flanges. Starting at the outside it should become fairly obvious :)

To reduce possibility of damage disconnect the front prop when using it in "2 wheel drive get me home mode" but beware if its a CV or diff it could catastrophically get worse through use.

We had a quick look and listen this evening....

With difflock disengaged, the prop spins, no noise apart from the gears turning over in the transfer box.... Nothing shaking or vibration to be felt at the hubs...

Looks like Mark will be pulling the drive flanges off tomorrow / Monday... Fingers crossed he doesn't have to go too far in to find the issue.

Neil

I'm not so sure......

When you do the wheel jacking and spinning, have the difflock still engaged... The prop will not be able to spin and the diff will have to spin internally for the wheel to spin.

But if the flanges are shot, the prop will still stay still because it can't move, the wheel will spin and you may diagnose the diff is spinning as well....

If difflock not engaged, the prop will spin indicating the diff is working, drive shaft intact and the flange/cv etc. still making enough contact to spin the diff, but under no real load......

So Mark will still probably end up having to check the flanges or potentially deeper manually just to prove any diagnosis.....

Or have I not though this through properly ?

Neil

no, I agree with you Neil, spinning the wheels by hand doesn't prove anything.

You might as well crack on and start stripping it down, that the sure way to find what's broken!

out with the socket set then, thanks for your thoughts guys. I'll let you know the results as and when.

Regards

Mark

I'm not so sure......

When you do the wheel jacking and spinning, have the difflock still engaged... The prop will not be able to spin and the diff will have to spin internally for the wheel to spin.

But if the flanges are shot, the prop will still stay still because it can't move, the wheel will spin and you may diagnose the diff is spinning as well....

If difflock not engaged, the prop will spin indicating the diff is working, drive shaft intact and the flange/cv etc. still making enough contact to spin the diff, but under no real load......

So Mark will still probably end up having to check the flanges or potentially deeper manually just to prove any diagnosis.....

Or have I not though this through properly ?

Neil

correct but still think it can be helpful if trying to find the corner as if its a CV or broken shaft you will probably hear/feel it through the wheel when you spin the respective wheel