Exhaust system for 2.5 petrol in 109

Steve_M

Hi,

My 109 has a 2.5 petrol from a ninety and I need to replace existing the exhaust system. The problem I am having is finding a new exhaust to match the old one, the existing system appears to be be similar to the standard 109 system (same general shape /path down the vehicle) it is however a much bigger bore at about 2". Does anyone have any ideas on where I may be able to find a similar system? If not would I be able to fit the standard system with the smaller bore without any problems? So far I spoken to a couple of places locally (Hampshire) and Rimmer Bros but haven't been able to match the old system.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I would guess at the possiblity of fitting either a 2.25 petrol exhaust manifold and the associated down pipe, or fit a 2.25 diesel exhaust manifold with associated down pipe, that way they will mate up with the rest of the 109 2.25 exhaust system. Those people fitting 2.5NAD's into series have found the 2.25D manifold and down pipe just bolted straight onto the 2.5NAD

Sodbury's coming up!

Thanks for the information. I'm just waiting to hear back from Steve Parker Landrover as to whether or not they have something suitable otherwise I will try fitting the 2.25 system and hope there is no significant drop in perfomance.

Steve

Thanks for the information. I'm just waiting to hear back from Steve Parker Landrover as to whether or not they have something suitable otherwise I will try fitting the 2.25 system and hope there is no significant drop in perfomance.

Steve

With the smaller bore, it may even give you a little bit more torque low down, but we are talking about a landie here :D

With the smaller bore, it may even give you a little bit more torque low down, but we are talking about a landie here :D

just a thought how about using a 110 exhaust???? as I used one on my old 109 a good 10 or so yuears ago when I fitted a 2.5 petrol in it

bit of fiddling with brackets and thiungs and it did the job

just a thought how about using a 110 exhaust???? as I used one on my old 109 a good 10 or so yuears ago when I fitted a 2.5 petrol in it

bit of fiddling with brackets and thiungs and it did the job

I may go down this path I was just hoping that there would be an off the shelf item available that I could bolt straight in. I will probably go and find a 110 tomorrow to see how much fiddling will be needed to make it fit.

Steve

I recall from my 2.5 petrol 110 that there where two different manifolds available that mated with the downpipe in different ways. One downpipe was much longer and finished somewhere back by the gearbox (requiring the cross member to be dropped to change it) while the other came in two parts with an extra joint near the bell housing. Rest of the exhaust wasn't quite the same either so mixing parts was not really feasible.

I know this coz in typical LR style I was fitting a new exhaust. Bust a stud on the manifold which when removed was seen to be cracked. Fitted new (s/h) manifold then had to change the downpipe,.. and the saga went on :(

Actually that also reminds me that I think the cracked manifold on the 2.5 was a common problem. Think I'd be tempted to try and fit a 2.25 manifold to your 2.5.