Super-Soakers windscreen wahsers :)

ThreeSheds

Hi,

Since the weather has got a little milder I have been sorting one or two things in the early evenings - the sort of jobs that don't need too much light...

One task I set out to do was re-mounting the washer bottle which had been removed during extensive welding. When I realised that - although the RRC has a pump, it has no headlight washers, but the Disco has - I recalled an idea for improving the RRC's windscreen washers using the Disco's headlight jets to better cope with mud.

Here is how it went:

An unsuspecting headlight washer earlier today: gallery_3439_704_29599.jpg

First they were cut along the line to make them sit at the correct angle:gallery_3439_704_32854.jpg

The plumbing was done using a mixture of original headlight washer pipe (incorporating the non-return valves) and spare petrol pipe:gallery_3439_704_93619.jpg

The original relay was used (which limits the super-soakers to a one second blast), but was wired in so that it doesn't need the headlights to be on to work - see the blue wire linking back to the live feed.

I now intend to wire this (blue wire) into a switched feed since these jets are a little too pokeee for normal road use:gallery_3439_704_58485.jpg

Here are the Super-Soakers in action: :D :D :Dgallery_3439_704_44002.jpg

Unfortunately it became obvious during testing that I had mounted the jets in the wrong positions - they had to be set seriously cross-eyed to get the jets to hit the right area of screen! :angry:

So if anyone else does similar I would say it's best to put the jets inside the dipped section of bonnet, within a few cms of the original jets.

Here is a shot of the wrong location: gallery_3439_704_58549.jpg

Do the trick, don't they! We've had them on most of our racers over the years!

I think it was you that gave me the idea - but I couldn't find the post to confirm who it was ...

So Thanks for the idea - yes - they certainly do the trick! :)

Great idea for sure. What would happen if one was to use the headlamp washer pump connected to the normal jets? I'm thinking more for Defender application. Maybe time to experiment :unsure:

The ones I took of my RRC had pipes about 1/4" diameter and a serious pump. The pipes were all secured with jubilee clips. I think it would just blow the pipes off a normal washer system.

From memory the jets that go with it had about 1mm holes.

Steve

I have a RRC headlamp pump stuck into a normal screenwash bottle, and replaced the normal screenwash jets with the Defender double-jet type so you get 4 jets in total. They certainly blast out well enough and I'd guess normal washer hose would take it OK although mine is 6mm nylon 'cos that's what I had.

The ones I took of my RRC had pipes about 1/4" diameter and a serious pump. The pipes were all secured with jubilee clips. I think it would just blow the pipes off a normal washer system.

From memory the jets that go with it had about 1mm holes.

Steve

I had to unblock the drivers jet (you may be able to see that the jet is still not as good as the passenger one) and I think it was 2.5mm :o and as you say - there is some impressive supply pipework! I did think about using 'normal' pipes and additional 'normal' jets, but once I started looking at the components I had available, it just seemed easier to stick to the original. Also it seems to me that putting all this available flow and pressure through normal jets - whilst I am sure it would be very effective - would be wasting some of it's potential.

If I change it again, my next mod would be to fit the second tank to supply just the SS jets, since whilst merely adjusting the direction of these jets I emptied a full tank :o They are quite thirsty..

Roger

p.s. The pickup for these SS jets is higher than the normal pumps so that once they run dry you still have probably a litre of normal washer fluid left - enough to get you to the next services/stream for a refill :)