Quick Edis question

Gassed'58

Just fitted my Edis set up to test run prior to putting the Megajolt in circuit and made a boo boo...I wired it up with +12v and ground the wrong way round !!!!

My question is, have I killed the unit or will it still work having done this ? I canot get the engine to start though this may be for some other reason.

Hoping for an answer as I have'nt got another to swop out with. Thanks.

Where are you, someone may be able to offer a spare ?

I wouldn't have thought connecting it up backwards would damage it, most modules of this kind are pretty much bomb proof although it will have almost certainly blown the fuse you ran the feed from.

Forget the Megajolt altogether (disconnect it) and concentrate on the EDIS, if it has power, the coils have power and the VR sensor is hooked up you will be getting a spark at 10 BTDC. Check the spark with a timing light on each of the HT leads in turn and make sure that you are getting a spark at 10 BTDC on number 1 and then at 90 degree intervals for 5, 7 then 3. Do the same on the other side 6 at 10BTDC then 8, 4 and 2.

If you're not getting any spark at all check the power to the EDIS, the coils and check the VR sensor wiring.

Where are you, someone may be able to offer a spare ?

I wouldn't have thought connecting it up backwards would damage it, most modules of this kind are pretty much bomb proof although it will have almost certainly blown the fuse you ran the feed from.

Forget the Megajolt altogether (disconnect it) and concentrate on the EDIS, if it has power, the coils have power and the VR sensor is hooked up you will be getting a spark at 10 BTDC. Check the spark with a timing light on each of the HT leads in turn and make sure that you are getting a spark at 10 BTDC on number 1 and then at 90 degree intervals for 5, 7 then 3. Do the same on the other side 6 at 10BTDC then 8, 4 and 2.

If you're not getting any spark at all check the power to the EDIS, the coils and check the VR sensor wiring.

Hi Dave, sounds promising, hopefully it will be ok. Location is near Cardiff. Will persevere. Working 12 hr days untill Sunday so time to ponder on it.

If you are running EDIS and the original ECU just to prove the EDIS then don't forget the ECU is expecting a signal pulse to say the engine is turning over before it will fire the injectors. I believe it gets that from the coil so you must leave that connected even if the king lead is out.

Steve

Hi Steve, no injectors or original ECU I'm afraid, sorry I should have been more precise, I'm running a 2.25 petrol with a Megajolt waiting to go on the vehicle. I put the Edis unit on the vehicle to run on test at default 10 degree to prove the set up prior to connecting the Megajolt.

Ok, just to finish this one off, I fitted a replacement Edis unit courtesy of the " scrappy " for a tenner and all is now good. Running really well on default timing of ten degrees :D Cannot wait to plug the @Jolt in tomorrow.

So anyway, learn by my silliness and concentrate on the job in hand. !!