And On, And On...

geoffbeaumont

On your next time off Niall, you could drive your Rangie back to Indonesia overland and make an expedition out of it! That would be cool. But long.

a working heater and matrix! :ph34r:

I am not about to do a Ewan & Charlie trip.

Sort of Matrix Reload then :rolleyes:

You've got snow, sweating my nuts off here at 34+, not nice B)

Don't look too close at the footwell welding we did before when you have the body off, hopefully I will be back in late Aug for a few weeks if I don't end up in the funny farm with this lot :unsure:

A copy of that wouldn't go amiss

Go on! I'll try and convince Weatherford it'd be a great idea to sponsor us! Would be a great way to test the new project! :)

Yep, weather up here has turned! Thought spring was on the way (unfortunately so did a few plants I fear :o ) but now there is non stop hail/sleet/snow...

34c sounds good to me for a bit! Just go and sit in the fridge for a while - if anyone complains just show them your Scottish passport and therefore they should understand.

You're welding job was spot on, don't be modest :P

I fear for the bulkhead in general as there are the famous rust spots showing through the door pillars and top section.

I shall endeavor to keep up my painting skills however! Still quite proud of the front end, and now I've started and that looks nice, I guess I'd better finish!

Will send a copy of the pdf!

Geoff, bit of good news at last, pity WD40 doesn't work on carpets :lol:

It didn't last...found the cause of it wandering all over the road...noticed when I swung it round on the gravel at work that it was scuffing its tyres, so I jacked it up when I got home. Yup, viscous coupling has seized up solid :angry:

Taken the front propshaft off for now - it'll have to stay like that at least for the time being :(

It seems I may have a solution...

Been offered a 3.5 V8 Rangie (1990, I think) which has just failed its MOT on chassis rot, but was being driven prior to this. It'll have a manual transfer box not a Borg Warner, but I suppose that might be a good thing from a longevity point of view ( :( I liked the BW). I haven't seen it, but it allegedly is otherwise in good order (take that as you will...) and as I could do with a few other bits off it and can doubtless flog some others I reckon for £200 I can't really lose...? :unsure:

some others I reckon for £200 I can't really lose...? :unsure:

What you actually have that left after all the engine work :blink: sounds like a winner, especially if it has dry carpets :lol: should be a chain drive box, the LT 230's went out about 86 MY

What you actually have that left after all the engine work :blink: sounds like a winner, especially if it has dry carpets :lol:

Err...no...but I figure I can sell enough bits off it to at least break even, so it's a short term loss.

should be a chain drive box, the LT 230's went out about 86 MY

Even better :)

Almost, the BW chain drive would have appeared in late 88 for the 89 MY :)

Spoken to the owner directly now - it's an 86/E, and he thinks it's got a manual transfer box (I'm guessing this vehicle hasn't seen a lot of mud....). Sounds like it'll definitely be an LT230, then. Aside from the rotten chassis, he says he had some (unspecified) trouble with the gearbox last summer, so that might not be any good. Get it tomorrow night, anyway, so we'll see how much of the rest of it is worth keeping.

Well FWIW I'd remove the front prop for the time being if your not planning any off'ing and buy a new viscous unit with the proceeds of breaking the scrapper. The BW is a nice smooth unit and not that troublesome. You could argue that not having difflock until you are already in an awkward situation is a bad thing but in my experience the response of the viscous coupling is so quick that there's very little difference.

Well FWIW I'd remove the front prop for the time being if your not planning any off'ing and buy a new viscous unit with the proceeds of breaking the scrapper. The BW is a nice smooth unit and not that troublesome. You could argue that not having difflock until you are already in an awkward situation is a bad thing but in my experience the response of the viscous coupling is so quick that there's very little difference.

The front prop is sat on my workbench...has been since I worked out the BW was seized.

I'd rather have another BW, but I could do with paying for the last few repairs first...I'll probably put the LT230 in for now but keep the BW for exchange/rebuild when I can afford it (and be bothered, depending how I get on with the manual unit).

The plan is to strip off the bits I need plus the most profitable other bits then get rid of what's left of it. Unfortunately I'm not very well equipped for breaking trucks - I live in a suburban semi with an open plan garden, and I don't run to an engine hoist or any other heavy workshop tools, so I won't be able to properly dismantle the truck. I can't think of any way to get the engine out and I need to always leave it in a state that's safe with kids playing around it.

Well, she's here. Cypress green with manual transmission (wasn't expecting that - I really did buy this sight unseen...). Surprisingly tidy cosmetically for its age - wheels are a bit rough and there're a few bits of rust on the bullbars and so on, but from a distance she's pretty smart. Panels are in good nick. Pretty clean inside too - pretty basic spec, so no shag pile carpets sadly :huh: It's a grey interior anyway, so wrong colour (Gemima's beige). Engine runs very nicely although it smells a bit rich and the exhaust is blowing a bit.

Underneath, however, is an object lesson in why waxoyl is a Good Thing :( I haven't found anywhere on the chassis that's actually holed yet, but it's all in a bit of a state. Inner sills are holed. Does the chassis actually have to be holed for an MOT failure?

Apparently the 'trouble' that the previous owner had with the gearbox was that it whined a bit - Jonathan said it wasn't that noisy, but the gearchange was a bit stiff. Does that sound normal for an LT77?

Is the transfer box on the manual exactly the same as on the auto?

I'll have a proper look over it on Saturday, in daylight, but it doesn't look like a bad buy for the money :)

Apparently the 'trouble' that the previous owner had with the gearbox was that it whined a bit - Jonathan said it wasn't that noisy, but the gearchange was a bit stiff. Does that sound normal for an LT77?

Is the transfer box on the manual exactly the same as on the auto?

Yes, either the bearings on the input shaft of the LT 77 or the output shaft of the LT230 are the usual suspects. The change arrangement can get stiff after a lot of unloved milage or shoddy servicing, the R380 is fundamentally the same box a bit more refined or even dewhined and the change arrangement is much slicker.

I think only the final drive ratio is different but best to check on the Ashcroft site, I seem to remember they had some diagnoses tips somewhere on the site too.

So are you going to break then? A working LT77 / LT230 even if noisy has a core value of around 150 quid, if the engine is running OK that should be easy to sell as a known quantity, you could end up actually making a few bob if you find someone who needs trim and it's in as good shape as you say. If the bonnet is still in reasonable shape that's another 75 quid as the earlier bonnets lasted better, if either of the tailgates are usable it's starting to look like a little nestegg if you are prepared to put the breaking effort in.

Depends on how far you'd be breaking it! Was just refering to your comment about keeping it safe around kids. A pretty well stripped car has plenty of edges.

Like I said, was just a suggestion, never mind.

Depends on how far you'd be breaking it! Was just refering to your comment about keeping it safe around kids. A pretty well stripped car has plenty of edges.

Like I said, was just a suggestion, never mind.

I wasn't saying it was a bad suggestion :)

Might well get a tarp rather than a proper car cover - that should be a good bit cheaper, and more generally useful.

Yes, either the bearings on the input shaft of the LT 77 or the output shaft of the LT230 are the usual suspects. The change arrangement can get stiff after a lot of unloved milage or shoddy servicing, the R380 is fundamentally the same box a bit more refined or even dewhined and the change arrangement is much slicker.

I think only the final drive ratio is different but best to check on the Ashcroft site, I seem to remember they had some diagnoses tips somewhere on the site too.

Final drive is different between what? LT77 and R380? LT230 and BW? If it's the latter might swing the descision in favour of a new BW...

Ashcrofts don't say anything about whining LT77/LT230s, and only about specific sticking problems with the gearchange - I'd guess this one's fine, maybe just needs an oil change or even is perfectly normal for an LT77. I've never driven one, so I've nothing to compare it against. Come to that I haven't driven this one yet, either...

So are you going to break then? A working LT77 / LT230 even if noisy has a core value of around 150 quid, if the engine is running OK that should be easy to sell as a known quantity, you could end up actually making a few bob if you find someone who needs trim and it's in as good shape as you say. If the bonnet is still in reasonable shape that's another 75 quid as the earlier bonnets lasted better, if either of the tailgates are usable it's starting to look like a little nestegg if you are prepared to put the breaking effort in.

Lower tailgate looked okay - could do with tidying up. Amazingly it's still got an intact strip between the boot floor and tailgate, so I haven't had a look at the inner corners yet. Upper tailgate is usable and shuts pretty well, but it's rusty so not sure whether that'll be worth much. The bonnet has some rust on the inside, but the outside is immaculate - the one on Gemima needs attention so it'll be painted and swopped with that, then I'll tidy up my old one and sell it. Won't make quite as much, but I'll get a better bonnet out of it.

I'll sell the LT77 - possibly the LT230 depending how much I make from the other bits. If I make enough I might sell it and refurb the BW.

Jonathan's got his eye on the engine and one of the diffs, if he manages to scrounge his sisters knackered rangie. I owe him a few favours so I wouldn't make anything from them, although I guess he'd swop it over to the hotwire EFI from the existing engine, so I'd have a few bits to sell. He was eyeing up the interior as well, but I can't afford to give him all the good bits...

Had to reread the thread Geoff. Looks so smart I was thinking for a mo you'd given in and got a replacment for Gemima.

If the chassis wasn't so rough, I'd be tempted... She doesn't stand up to closer inspection though - plenty of tin worms have dined on her :(