Disco brake issue ??

dougstar

Have done a quick search but nothing answered my question.

Intermittintly my Disco has a brake issue, always when first started up or within a mile (could be first time i press the brake?) but the pedal goes soft and it sounds as if the ABS is kicking in :blink: and although the brakes come on they seem to be very poor, After a couple of pumps of the pedal all is well again and back to what i belive to be very good brakes.

Any ideas guys??

Servo?

Vaccum pump

What you thiink

TIA

Dougie ;)

Intermittintly my Disco has a brake issue, always when first started up or within a mile (could be first time i press the brake?) but the pedal goes soft and it sounds as if the ABS is kicking in :blink: and although the brakes come on they seem to be very poor, After a couple of pumps of the pedal all is well again and back to what i belive to be very good brakes.

Any ideas guys??

Servo?

Vaccum pump

What you thiink

TIA

Dougie ;)

have you checked the wheel bearings as this will push the pads away from the disc

have you checked the wheel bearings as this will push the pads away from the disc

They are good mate TIMKIN's not that old and regulary checked,

I have had that issue when you get back 'on road' some times and the pads have been rattling around and it takes a couple of pumps to re seat them but this is different

The ABS kicks in too ?

Cheers

Dougie

Any ideas guys??

Servo?

Vaccum pump

What you thiink

TIA

Dougie ;)

It's a bit of fiddling around, but you should be able to read the logged fault codes of the ABS Ecu using information available on this excellent forum. That should point you in the right direction.

I noticed you mentioned your wheel bearings have been replaced not long ago? 1 detail easily overlooked regarding the front ABS sensors is the amount of CV joint shaft end float. The very nature of bearing shaft support for that makes it absolutely critical to keep that end float to a minimum. I set mine up to .08 mm (approx .0032"). I was fortunate enough to be able to make my own spacers on a lathe and finish the thickness on my surface grinder. Again on this forum there is details of how to set that end float up properly. Unfortunately in my case that and many other fixes did not rectify my ABS problems, it turned out to be another issue with the Ecu.

Yeah wheel sensors need tapping back in (I get the same symptoms on mine when it needs doing) which may also point to your bearings being a bit on the slack side, or the sensors weren't tapped back in last time the bearings were done..........

Now this i have not heard of before ??

Will check the bearings again asap but never 'tapped' anything back when i did the bearings??

But then i have done quite a few miles since the bearing change and the brake issue was not apparent from the start, i would presume from what you are saying that it would be straight away after the change??

Thanks again guys its a real help to get a broader range of ideas for me to go at this weekend when i get chance to look at it.

Dougie

Play in the bearings can allow the CV joint to run eccentrically in the swivel housing - this can bring it into contact with the sensor pushing it up and increasing the air-gap resulting in the classic symptoms you have. Its not that you HAVE to tap them back in if you do the bearings, but its just a common precaution I use when doing mine as I know the brass inserts dont grip the sensor on mine as well as they should.........