can i run twin tanks on my 90

Hi all

Can i fit a second to my 90 so i can run twin tanks eg under the passenger seat.

I used to have a light weight with this system just wondered if it is possible for a 300tdi with twin tanks ?

And can i use facet fuel pumps for deisel ?

Thanks

Yes you can use the facet pumps if you wish.

As for twin tanks i'm not sure where you will fit it in...the opposite side has a battery box but essentially if you can find somewhere to put it then yes itll work, i'd suggest things like a balancing pipe unless you wish to run them as a seperate tanks....

I have one of these tanks in my 90. Got the stainless one and just took out the rear box on the exhuast and put it in . It runs with a pump that pumps the fuel from the back tank into the front orininal tank when the front tank is empty.

I put this in , in the Uk . and use the rear tank alot on our around Australia trip

This is the tank i have

tank_3.jpg

It fills up from the orginal filler with a Y peice so you can fill up both tanks at the same time or font only or back only

Tank under the back of the car

tankup.jpg

Filler pipe over the chassis

tank.jpg

Been in the car for 4 years now and no problems in fact very happy with it and use it all the time . And does not effect the look of the car

PICT0493.JPG

Well i was thinking of relocating my batteries to behind me in the back but after seeing the fuel tank kit i might just bang 2 of these in and do away with my normal tank alltogether so then i can get even weight distribution.

Thanks for your advice all

one more thing how much where they ?

Well i was thinking of relocating my batteries to behind me in the back but after seeing the fuel tank kit i might just bang 2 of these in and do away with my normal tank alltogether so then i can get even weight distribution.

Thanks for your advice all

one more thing how much where they ?

I am pretty sure i paid £350 for the stainless one

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

Can i fit a second to my 90 so i can run twin tanks eg under the passenger seat.

I used to have a light weight with this system just wondered if it is possible for a 300tdi with twin tanks ?

And can i use facet fuel pumps for deisel ?

Thanks

why not just fit a TD5 rear fuel tank and a changeover switch then there won't be an extra fuel pump to go wrong.

Thats what i did :P

• 2 weeks later...

Noting Jimmy's post, I fitted a TD5 tank in the back of my 300TDi, not least because insurance is easier if your modification is mainly fitting a standard Land Rover parts. There are excellent posts on nhow to do it here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23208&st=0

and

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...i+TD5+fuel+tank

This approach does requires some fairly serious grinding and welding, but ends up with a robust solution. For the record, I also tried re-shaping the TD5 tank to avoid cutting out the rear cross member stiffener. I tried using heat, and a cut/plastic weld. Complete failure all round.

My steelwork is a little different from the above posts as I wanted to keep the rear anti-roll bar as an option.

I decided against a fuel change-over switch as I had heard from a kit supplier (probably the one in this thread) that the lift pump struggled lifting from the rear tank (this may be questionable). For filling, I made a T pipe off the main filler pipe going to the rear. I put in a facet transfer pump and piping from the rear to the filler pipe for the front. This means that when the front fills up, if the transfer pump is still on, excess fuel drains back to the rear through the T of the filler. I did put in a changeover switch for the fuel gauge to save having a second gauge.

I have now run my setup for about 10 tank fulls including some reasonable green-laning with no problems. From completely full on both tanks to as empty as I dared go I can get a range of 620 miles, though it is usually in the high 500's if I don't let the level get too low.

Do reply or pm me for more details if you decide to go this route.

Regards

Richard

Noting Jimmy's post, I fitted a TD5 tank in the back of my 300TDi, not least because insurance is easier if your modification is mainly fitting a standard Land Rover parts. There are excellent posts on nhow to do it here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23208&st=0

and

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...i+TD5+fuel+tank

This approach does requires some fairly serious grinding and welding, but ends up with a robust solution. For the record, I also tried re-shaping the TD5 tank to avoid cutting out the rear cross member stiffener. I tried using heat, and a cut/plastic weld. Complete failure all round.

My steelwork is a little different from the above posts as I wanted to keep the rear anti-roll bar as an option.

I decided against a fuel change-over switch as I had heard from a kit supplier (probably the one in this thread) that the lift pump struggled lifting from the rear tank (this may be questionable). For filling, I made a T pipe off the main filler pipe going to the rear. I put in a facet transfer pump and piping from the rear to the filler pipe for the front. This means that when the front fills up, if the transfer pump is still on, excess fuel drains back to the rear through the T of the filler. I did put in a changeover switch for the fuel gauge to save having a second gauge.

I have now run my setup for about 10 tank fulls including some reasonable green-laning with no problems. From completely full on both tanks to as empty as I dared go I can get a range of 620 miles, though it is usually in the high 500's if I don't let the level get too low.

Do reply or pm me for more details if you decide to go this route.

Regards

Richard

The LR lift pump does not struggle to lift diesel from the rear tank.

I wouldn't run veggie oil from the rear tank as it may struggle with this. I have my veggie in the front tank and diesel in the rear.