Converting to camper/motorhome

Bluemoon

I have a series 11a station wagon, and I have been thinking of converting to a camper/ motorhome, but obviously I still want to retain the tax exempt status. All that will be changed is the engine, and body, basically, cab style with a bed above. I have nearly every part I need so cost will be very little indeed. cheers for your input.

Brian

You won't lose the exempt staus if you are just changing the engine and body as long as the rest of the vehicle is same as original. What you do to the inside of the vehicle has no bearing on the points system.

MOG converted a 127 ambulance into a camper, and a beautiful job it was too.

Les.

I have a series 11a station wagon, and I have been thinking of converting to a camper/ motorhome, but obviously I still want to retain the tax exempt status. All that will be changed is the engine, and body, basically, cab style with a bed above. I have nearly every part I need so cost will be very little indeed. cheers for your input.

Brian

As long as you keep the chassis (original one or new replacement) without being modified (arguable on what is modified) and 2 major components you should be ok.

DVLA state to keep the ID your vehicle needs to score 8 or above from:

Chassis (not modified or 2nd hand) = 5 points

Steering = 2 points

Axles = 2 points

Transmission = 2 points

Suspension = 2 points

Engine = 1 point

I think you should be ok. :)

and how do you go about informing them, is it just a case of writing on the V5, cheers for the info, I'm a happy man now.

Brian

I believe so, although not done anything like this myself.

From what I understand though its best not to make more hassle for yourself than you need.

If you change the engine or body colour fill it out on the V5. Let the MOT centre do the rest, if they aren't happy they should say so and you can take it from there.

Not sure if a camper body would need anything updating to inform the DVLA, there only have some many options you can choose from.

Have a look here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=39348

Les Brock posted a very helpful link in post 9, its probably worth a gander. :)

cheers everyone, a little wiser again, thanks for the input

Brian

Any gas system would need to be installed by a qualified fitter (you can lay it all out but they need to terminate it) and you need to get a certificate. Also, if it has a fixed bed in it you are supposed to let teh DVLA know that it's status has changed to "motorhome".

I got around this by putting in a portable camp stove and we didn't have a fixed bed ;)