Oil leak

v8bertha

Hi guys and gals,

I've had an oil drip coming from the wading plug hole in the bell housing of the Camel for quite a while now. I'd always assumed it to be the rear main crank oil seal that was causing the problem however I am now unsure :unsure:

Here's why:

Last night I parked the motor facing downhill and noticed after half hour or so quite a big oil patch on the road, probably a couple of inches in diameter. I then went out in the car a bit later and this time when I got home I parked it facing uphill. The oil puddle that formed was not nearly as bad, in fact it was just a couple of drips. Now, If I'm parked facing uphill then there would be more engine oil at the back of the sump and less gearbox oil against the input shaft oil seal, and visa versa.

So to my mind this means that it is more likely to be the gearbox input shaft oil seal that has failed. What do you lot think? Should there be enough oil in the gearbox for the level to be above the input shaft oil seal if parked on a bit of a hill?

If it is the gearbox oil seal, has anyone done one before? Other than having to take the gearbox out is it a pig of a job that requires the seal to be pressed in from the inside of the box or something daft like that? From the diagram in Microcat it looks like it should be a simple enough job, but some confirmation from someone who has done it before would be grand ;)

gearboxoilseal.jpg

Cheers all

Dan :)

Good point, I hadn't considered the clutch slave :rolleyes:

But considering I've not been having any clutch issues and the length of time I've had the leak, I'm inclined to rule it out. I will check the level tho, just to be on the safe side.

The gearbox has got MTF94 in it, which is about the same colour as engine oil when its on the road :lol:

what color, (taste :P ) is the oil. Black means most likely engine, while clear or colored (red) may be gearbox or hydraulic fluid.

The last time I had this problem it was the slave cylinder leaking.

Ckeck your clutch fluid level.

Dan,

Gearbox input seal is easy once you've got into the bellhousing. Take the plate off, pull out the seal, replace and re-assemble with a new gasket. 10 minute job.

Hassle is gettin the box out as you suggest.

You need to check that the spigot bush is in good nick as this can be a casue of it going. Might even be worth replacing it as a matter of course anyway whilst you're in there as they're not expensive.

HTH

Jon

I to have done this easy job

ditto above it could be clutch fluid to check the level in there

I have had a slave cylinder go the fluid ended up in the bellhousing even though the clutch wasn't that bad it still functioned.

the bolts that old the pivot point/clutch lever in the bellhousing also appear to be made of cream cheese so get a decent socket on them you have to remove it to get the seal housing off.