Fitting anti-roll bars

Davecrx

Hi

I'm looking into fitting front and rear anti-roll bars to my disco.

When i was looking under the car i can see where the bar clamps bolt to but no where the link would.

So i would like to know is this bracket something i'm going to need to weld on and if so where can i get this bracket from?

Thanks Dave

from memory i think the brackets bolt on to the chassis and the axles are cast with the mounting points in them..

can i ask why you want to fit them?? i take them off mine.. they dont make a bit of difference on road and hinder you off road....

your best bet for getting the bits is off one that is being broken for spares..

Well not really going to be doing alot of major off road, more like soft road and road driving.

Going to be more like a rally car then a go anywhere car.

So i dont really see how they will hinder me and if they will only make a small difference that better then nothing at all.

Lots of small differences can all add up to a big change.

I'd be tempted to go with heavier duty OE springs and gas dampers than go to the faff of fitting the anti-roll bars. the dampers and springs would control the roll of the truck just as well as a set of ARBs, plus they are cheap and probably need replacing anyways given the age of the vehicle.

Rubbish. That's a big generalisation. The clue is in the name.

have probably had 20 lannys now of all different shapes and sizes.. they dont help a bit on road.. the disco has a heavy steel roof and a high centre of gravity so it will roll naturally.. a small metal bar between the axle and chassis will not couneract this!!

gallery_8011_735_24969.jpg

the rangie in this pic had anti roll bars an it clipped a kerb doing approximately 20mph......

the disco towing it had them removed and it has never been on its side!!

my dad bought a 200tdi disco not long ago, k reg, on the drive home it was apparent that it did seem quite top heavey, i had just broken a 300tdi disco to biuld my 80 on so i robbed the anti roll bars off it and put them on the 200, what a difference, so much easier to drive, very much improved for towing aswell, so i would say do it, well worth it. that rangey must have been doing more than 20mph to roll after just clipping the kerb.. :ph34r:

Any hi-centred vehicle clipping a kerb could roll. Even the Dicovery, with or without ARBs.

But I'm not going to start WW3 over it. You pay your money, you take your choice. Personally, I find it does make a difference on road & so does Hamish by the sound of it.

Any hi-centred vehicle clipping a kerb could roll. Even the Dicovery, with or without ARBs.

But I'm not going to start WW3 over it. You pay your money, you take your choice. Personally, I find it does make a difference on road & so does Hamish by the sound of it.

yes, definatly does.

the rangie in this pic had anti roll bars an it clipped a kerb doing approximately 20mph......

The are, after all, Anti Roll Bars not Anti Rollover bars. Anti Body Roll Bars if you like, & for me they do this perfectly on our twisty hills roads. Certainly not ACE, but very good all the same.

Maybe the choice of good tyres helps as well, with road holding.

After all that i've still not got the answer i'm lookin for....

Maybe not, but you did get some differing views which are always a good thing. Right or wrong, but you can then sort it out for yourself.

I guess unless you want new, then a breakers would be the place to look.

Maybe not, but you did get some differing views which are always a good thing. Right or wrong, but you can then sort it out for yourself.

I guess unless you want new, then a breakers would be the place to look.

Yer mixed views is something i did get :lol:

I think it would be a lot easier if i got new brackets just having to find somewhere that sells them.

I worked on a Disco today with anti roll bars fitted well I helped a bit, the job was to swop the rear axles over and what a pain it was to undo the bolts, Anyway the bracket was rotten and snapped off clean from the axle. It dont help being a ex farm disco. Think it be easier just to swop the axle with the brackets fitted because if your going to weld it you will have to strip the axle down to make it safe for welding, Why not see if you can find someone on here to do a stright swop? It quicker and safer in the long run? I have driven a 200tdi without antiroll and a 300tdi with antiroll, I pooped my pants in the 300tdi but it dont help with it being sat there for 6 months! hope it sort it out soon though and I bet it will feel better too,

.....JJ