Classic Windscreen

mad_pete

After years of picking up chips I've managed to get a massive crack straight away on my car that doesn't have glass cover on the insurance.

Anyone recommend where to get a windscreen from ? Mine is heated but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for the privilege. Auto glass are quoting £370 for normal and £650 for heated ? is that about the going rate ?

I have a 95 classic with the bonded windscreen

D'oh! I only had that replaced just before I sold it to you!!!

Bonded screens are nigh on impossible to remove in one piece before breaking them! May I suggest contacting your insuracne company to add windscreen cover? Cost me £60 to get it changed!

Jon

D'oh! I only had that replaced just before I sold it to you!!!

Bonded screens are nigh on impossible to remove in one piece before breaking them! May I suggest contacting your insuracne company to add windscreen cover? Cost me £60 to get it changed!

Jon

Yes glass cover will be going on this time. It's the first time I've broken a screen ( apart from when the 90 went upside down but that was £80 or so for all broken panels including windscreen ) so all the money I've saved over there years I get to spend now. :-)

RAC want £305 and £457 for non heated and heated respectively which is a bit more like it.

After years of picking up chips I've managed to get a massive crack straight away on my car that doesn't have glass cover on the insurance.

Anyone recommend where to get a windscreen from ? Mine is heated but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for the privilege. Auto glass are quoting £370 for normal and £650 for heated ? is that about the going rate ?

I have a 95 classic with the bonded windscreen

I have a good screen in a RRC I'm breaking, not heated though.

Yours for pretty cheap if you're interested, and you'd have to collect it too.

Doh! Just read your post properly, mine is not a bonded version. Didn't realise they did that on a classic .

• 2 weeks later...

Well no such luck. Most came in at around £300 and after the surround it came to £340.

Very annoyingly the old screen came out without breaking ! ( anymore than it was )

Interestingly Adrian Flux wouldn't let me go up to fully comp. One windscreen is costly enough, if I get the new one fitted and crack that I will positively cry.

Third party -> fully comp is totally banned. I couldn't even cancel and get a new policy.

Apparently people on third party smash their motor up, park it in the garage, upgrade to fully comp and then claim a month or so later.

I didn't see why I couldn't take it to an approved repairer and get them to sign off that the vehicle was in one piece and had no cracks in the see through bits but apparently not.

As the rangie has no mods I found an insurer that would do fully comp for the cost of the third party policy and I get to rack up some no claims now.

Swapped my rangie policy to the 90 that had conveniently expired. Need to pull my finger out and fix that now..........