how to wire the engine temp gauge

Goober

with the info given i would say with some cable!! probably 2 core!!

Why would you need two core cable to connect one wire? :huh:

If you've found where to connect the wire to the engine, you need to find the other end of that wire (the clue is usually in the colour code of the wire) behind the dashboard and connect that to the gauge. If it's a genuine gauge then it should be fairly obvious if you look behind the dash.

use the sender with the green plastic insert & it'll work with the existing gauge,

the gauge end needs a Male spade terminal fitting to the wire [blue with Green trace] & the sender end needs a female bullet connector fitting to the wire, you'll also have to close up that connector so it fits snug on the sender pin terminal.

Why would you need two core cable to connect one wire? :huh:

If you've found where to connect the wire to the engine, you need to find the other end of that wire (the clue is usually in the colour code of the wire) behind the dashboard and connect that to the gauge. If it's a genuine gauge then it should be fairly obvious if you look behind the dash.

oh so all it i do is plug to the engine and in the bak of the gauge, no other wires? wel i think its the right wire, it fits on the engine part, but never been conected to the dash

Yep, that's about it, the back of the gauge should have a 12v feed on a plain Green wire connected to a Female spade terminal & a plain Black wire connected by a ring terminal to the stud that the gauge U clamp fits to, the ring terminal needs to be under the small knurled nut & on top of the U clamp, so it's sandwiched between the 2, the gauge illumination should be intact & wired up to a red/white wire, as per the other gauges.

if you can add a photo or 2 it'll help us check the connections with you.

Yep, that's about it, the back of the gauge should have a 12v feed on a plain Green wire connected to a Female spade terminal & a plain Black wire connected by a ring terminal to the stud that the gauge U clamp fits to, the ring terminal needs to be under the small knurled nut & on top of the U clamp, so it's sandwiched between the 2, the gauge illumination should be intact & wired up to a red/white wire, as per the other gauges.

if you can add a photo or 2 it'll help us check the connections with you.

Hi sorry i still dont understand it. There are some wires connected to the gauge as the pictues show, there are also two wires hanging as shown. I have put some pictures up from behind the dash and the engine. The wiring is from the original 2.5dt i think and fitted the loom to the 300tdi engine, i have the wiring for the 300tdi spare so could use the wire that plugs to the engine.

post-5111-1237401389_thumb.jpg

Hi sorry i still dont understand it. There are some wires connected to the gauge as the pictues show, there are also two wires hanging as shown. I have put some pictures up from behind the dash and the engine. The wiring is from the original 2.5dt i think and fitted the loom to the 300tdi engine, i have the wiring for the 300tdi spare so could use the wire that plugs to the engine.

post-5111-1237401746_thumb.jpg

post-5111-1237402098_thumb.jpg

the male spade connector fits the guage where marked on the 1st photo.

the other end fits the sender as marked on the 2nd photo

the wire colour code is in my earlier reply above & is common colour to all LR diesel engines including the Td5.

post-20-1237406882_thumb.jpg

post-20-1237406935_thumb.jpg

the male spade connector fits the guage where marked on the 1st photo.

the other end fits the sender as marked on the 2nd photo

the wire colour code is in my earlier reply above & is common colour to all LR diesel engines including the Td5.

Thanks, so hopefuly the other wires connected to the gauge work and when i fit the new wire everything should be ok. il let youknow when i connect the wire. thanks again

I'm confused.

If the gauge is already fully installed in the dash then why is the sensor wire not there in the loom?

Steve

I dont no. i am using a previous loom from the original engine, i then installed the 300tdi engine and noticed it wasnt there, all wiring was there apart from the temp to engine bit. so im having to use the wire from the 300tdi loom to attach gauge to engine. for some reason all the other wires are in the back of the gauge,

As I recall, the 2.5D has a spade terminal connection for the temperature which is about 2" too short. The 300TDi has a bullet connection. You may find the right wire on the loom, just with the wrong terminal...

Hi it was a 2.5dt. yes i have the bullet part and will just connect a female spade to the other end of the wire and it should fit the back of the gauge.