Aircon fans

roversteve53

Hi

Just a quick one ,Can the fans from an aircon RRC be used as cooling fans for the radiator?

I have a spares car fitted with aircon and wondered if I could use them on my diesel RRC instead of the engine driven fan,I have heard that it could save 10% on fuel, And as I do not tow a 3 ton trailer across a desert do I need the original fan anyway?

Thanks in advance. Steve.

I have the twin electric cooling fans fitted in front of the radiator in place of the engine driven fan and it copes o.k although I have not tested it in very hot weather. I dont have air-con so its blowing directly onto the rad.

The problem with fans in front of the radiator is that whilst they will cool the rad' the dont circulate any air around the engine manifolds or flush engine heat away. Under bonnet temperature can be quite high as a result. Mines a V8 so a diesel wont be anywhere near as hot.

I do have a new radiator as well which will be helping.

They're there to help the aircon condenser not cool the engine - get ye to a scrapyard and find something that works for ~£10. It's been covered a hundred times before already, and there's even an argument about fans on the international forum right now :rolleyes:

My 3.5 had electric fans and aircon fans. The cooling fans produce way more blow than the AC ones so I agree with FF that you should find some at the breakers.

Am I right thinking another thread advocated Mondeo fans complete with the fan housing fits nicely?

Another benefit of electric is you can turn them off if wading and not throw water all over the engine. If you do fit a switch to turn them off wire a buzzer into the other side of the switch then if you forget to turn them back on again the buzzer will go off when the thermostat wants the fans on.

Steve

If you do fit a switch to turn them off wire a buzzer into the other side of the switch then if you forget to turn them back on again the buzzer will go off when the thermostat wants the fans on.

Steve

Neat! :)

You have just removed my final concern over electric fans. Anyone want to buy a viscous fan? :lol: