Replacing ABS with standard brakes

plasticbadger

Ok, as many know I have a 1993 Range Rover Vogue SE fitted with Toyota Landcruiser axles. Both RR and TLC had ABS as standard, but very different plumbing (the TLC front calipers only use a single line, rather than dual line).

I can't get the brakes to work, the ABS pump just runs and runs and doesn't build pressure. There's no air in the system. It could be that because none of the wheel sensors are connected and therefore not sending the right messages, or it could be those front single lines, I don't know :( and I've run out of motivation to find out.

So the plan is to rip out the ABS pump, accumulator and valve block and replace it all with the master cylinder from a same-age Discovery. At the same time I'll convert back to a single line to the rear axle, just like I had on my Discovery that used these axles before.

So, has anybody done this?

Will the master cylinder from the Disco fit straight in?

What other bits may have to be swapped over?

I realise that what I'm proposing may have an MOT/VOSA impact, but I just want it working at the moment!

Have seen it done on a RR before both of daughters RRs have had the ABS removed and replaced with a standard servo etc, no problems with it working well. All the wiring was still there and the ABS light didn't work so no MOT issue, but I am not sure where you stand with this technically, if the vehicle was built with ABS the modification obviously needs notifying to insurers and as the manufacturer also built vehicles without ABS it seems logically OK.

But in this litigous age is anyone sure of where we stand !!

Should add of course that my 82 RR never has had ABS

After spending a small fortune fixing my ABS several years ago I talked to DVLA / VOSA about doing exactly this.

The tech guy's reply was "Why would you want to" as the ABS system is a safety system ans superior to standard brakes. However, he did follow it up with the fact that he thought it would not be an SVA issue if you used parts from a RR / Disco as that vehicle would have been type approved.

I would check it out with our local SVA station before you do it though.

Thanks, both replies are as I had hoped. There's a couple of other future mods I want to discuss with the SVA station anyway, probably heading for a VIC, as I have made some pretty hefty mods, but actually kept most of the original parts and not cut the chassis.

At the moment I just want to get it running!

Well the ABS is gone!

I've used a master cylinder/servo from a Disco 200Tdi of the same age, removed one of the rear brake lines, added the rear pressure reducing valve, re-plumbed the lines into the master cylinder and added a vacuum line from the plenium to the servo. In all only about 4 hours work, which was nice.

The only problem is I don't have enough servo assistance, making the brakes very heavy. I presume that the diesel engined disco has a small servo due to the vacuum available and the V8 should have a larger servo. Is that right?

• 3 weeks later...
Well the ABS is gone!

I've used a master cylinder/servo from a Disco 200Tdi of the same age, removed one of the rear brake lines, added the rear pressure reducing valve, re-plumbed the lines into the master cylinder and added a vacuum line from the plenium to the servo. In all only about 4 hours work, which was nice.

The only problem is I don't have enough servo assistance, making the brakes very heavy. I presume that the diesel engined disco has a small servo due to the vacuum available and the V8 should have a larger servo. Is that right?

How have you got on with this ^^^^ problem? I'm about to do the same with my RR and I'm wondering if I should get hold of a servo from a V8 rather than the 200tdi one I currently have.

Cheers

Brookers