90 door locks - screw driver for a key!

Hi all,

i discovered that a small flat head screw driver can unlock the side doors much to my dismay.

I did a search but could not find the answer so are the new barrels you can buy in sets anybetter? if so are they all the same or should i buy a particular set?

as this car is a bit of a project i do need to sort out this problem if possible before i start spending too much cash on it.

thanks in advance.

rick

Hi Rick,

Having found the same with mine a while ago I changed mine and now seems to be sorted.

Obviously it's not totally secure but you can go down the route of adding all sorts of security.

The changing of the barrels took me a while but that was only because I hadn't found a handy topic on here regarding a good method to use i.e drilling a hole to get to the small screw out the back and not having to remove the handle.

I thought it was a worthwhile exercise

Edit: just to answer one of your questions, the barrels all seemed the same for push button defender handles when I was looking you just need to remove and keep the latch mechanism on the back of the old barrel and screw it on the new ones

Hi Rick,

Having found the same with mine a while ago I changed mine and now seems to be sorted.

Obviously it's not totally secure but you can go down the route of adding all sorts of security.

The changing of the barrels took me a while but that was only because I hadn't found a handy topic on here regarding a good method to use i.e drilling a hole to get to the small screw out the back and not having to remove the handle.

I thought it was a worthwhile exercise

Edit: just to answer one of your questions, the barrels all seemed the same for push button defender handles when I was looking you just need to remove and keep the latch mechanism on the back of the old barrel and screw it on the new ones

Steve - thanks for your reply. good to know in a bad way that it's not just my car. i'll buy a set of locks and do some searching for any more tips on how to change then over. i've added some internal security i.e kill switch, steering lock, clutch and brake lock etc and intend to fit side and rear window grilles but it seemed stupid doing all of that if a simple flat head would open the door.

thanks again.

Rick

Yep, a handily-drilled hole (might even be one there already), remove the screw holding on the actuator arm, and then key in the lock and withdraw barrel. They might be a bit corroded up....

IMG_0658.JPG

A clean-up of the cage item (shown on the right above) and it'll go on the new lock barrel.

Re-fitting, as they say, is the reverse of removal :)